Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summerstar_gw

Anyone grow Rose Creek Abelia in partial shade?

summerstar
15 years ago

I saw Rose Creek Abelia on a website that posted top 20 plants and this variety looks like a beautiful plant. I never grew Abelia. The website said it takes part shade or sun and wonder if it will work in a place that's next to the foundation and gets four to six hours of late afternoon sun in the summer. In the winter, this space is bright light and virtually no direct sun. Do you think that's enough sunlight? AND how well do you like the Rose Creek variety?

Comments (12)

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Abelias are sun lovers but in a hot climate like yours there may be more flexibility.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Abelias do just fine in a partial shade situation. I don't grow Rose Creek personally but my A. 'Kaleidoscope', which is a variegated form, is in a part shade location with about the same amount of sun as you propose and it blooms beautifully and develops excellent fall and winter foliage color. And I see 'Edward Goucher' in part shade in many gardens here......it was still blooming in these places in late November until some really cold weather hit.

• summerstar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gardengal: Thanks for your input about Abelia.

Coincidentally, I was considering growing Kaleidoscope along the west wall of our garage. It looks beautiful in all the pictures. The planting site can hold only about a three foot spread, so I figured Kaleidoscope would suit the spot. It's a very hot and dry location, however, so I'm wondering if it could handle that. Our summer Virginia sun is VERY strong and humidity gets up there too, so I don't know about planting Kaleidoscope.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Shaded specimens of abelias I see here are demonstrating a definite response to the lack of full exposure. Even in the wild the species are characteristic of warm and sunny places.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

...full sun up to half shade; shade tolerance is greater than the literature indicates; plants under red maples made a respectable show although less dense and with decreased flowering compared to plants in full sun. Dirr, Manual of Woody Landscape Plants.

I'd have to consider under red maples a pretty tough planting location regardless of the amount of sunlight.....no doubt lack of moisture and nutrients from root competition would play a factor as well. 4-6 hours of direct sunlight without the influence of a red maple canopy should be more than adequate.

I think 'Kaleidoscope' could work well in the location you describe, with adequate watering. Heat and humidity do not appear to be a limiting factor for this plant, as many of the popular cultivars, including several of the variegated forms, were developed in nurseries located in the south (Alabama and NC).

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

>...full sun up to half shade; shade tolerance is greater than the literature indicates; plants under red maples made a respectable show although less dense and with decreased flowering compared to plants in full sun. Dirr, Manual of Woody Landscape Plants

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Do you think I didn't read that??

plants under red maples made a respectable show......

Maples are notoriously difficult to underplant successfully due to the heavy shade cast by their canopy, the extensive system of surface roots and their ability to suck up all available soil moisture and nutrients. It is no surprise that the plants would be less dense or not flower as strongly as those located without these handicaps. That the abelias were even able to compete, however successfully, under these conditions is a testament to their adaptablility. Without these limitations, they should fare much better.

• summerstar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi gardengal:

It was very kind of you to obtain a definitive sun/shade requirement for Abelia; it answers my question. My planting site has no overhead growth whatsoever and competes with no other planting. Thanks for the encouragement on 'Kaleidoscope'; I think we'll go ahead and give it a try. I did have some concerns about heat reflecting off the garage wall. I'll just have to keep them watered and mulched. 'Kaleidoscope's' bright variegation should look great against the gray side wall of the garage.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Yes: If the hot sun is in the afternoon you have to plant a sun-tolerant plant in order for it to take it. A plant needing partial shade would burn up, even though there is shade in the morning. Unshaded west walls = full sun when selecting plants.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

NO!!!

thought you ought to know.. since you asked.. lol

ken

• Tim
    12 years ago

The Rose Creek Abelia is not a regular abelia, which require full sun. It is a hybrid of abelia and grandiflora. According to Sooner Plant Farm the Rose Creek Abelia needs morning sun and afternoon shade. However, other websites, such as Gardenguides say that it will grow just fine in partial shade, but it will look best if grown in full sun. Sooner Plant Farm is based in Oklahoma, which is hotter and drier than any North Eastern state, so maybe your planting zone has a lot to do with the sunlight requirements of the Rose Creek Abelia. I would suggest speaking with your county's extension office and several of the nurseries in your area. But be cautious, nurseries aren't always the best sources of accurate information, which is why you should consult several and compare their answers.