Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katkerri

leatherleaf mahonia shrub

katkerri
12 years ago

just recently uncovered from a jungley patch of motherwort herbs: a young (1 foot tall) leatherleaf mahonia shrub. it is beginning to bloom yellow flowers in my yrad right now, jan. 19th. i would like to transplant it to another location. when is the best time to move this little plant?

thanks for helping!

Comments (20)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Mahonia bealei is somewhat invasive (see link below) in NC, especially in the mountainous areas of the state. It's not the monster that some other invasives are, but you still might consider destroying it.

Mahonia bealei in NC Info Sheet

IF you decide that you simply must keep it, now would be an excellent time to transplant it. Here are links that should answer any questions you might have about how to transplant it. Let me know if you have questions the documents don't answer.

Planting a Tree or Shrub

Generic Rootball Size Guide

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

Dear katkerri NC mountains,
    My advice is to ignore the ravings of the Invasive Plant Nazi, except for the fact that now, while they are dormant, is the time to relocate woody ornamentals. It is delightful to find an occasional _Elaeagnus pungens_, _Nandina domestica_, _Mahonia bealii_, etc., coming up here and there where a _rara avis_ has chosen to beshit its seed. As the poet said: A thing of beauty, and a joy forever.

When digging up such a fine horticultural treasure, it is a good idea to plunge your shovel straight down into the soil surrounding the plant rather than cutting into the soil at an angle, as one is more inclined to do. Cut straight down, well away from the stem of the plant, so as to cause less transplant stress on the root system. Retain as much soil with the rootball as possible. Water the transplanted shrub thoroughly even if a deluge of rain is falling as you are planting. Subsequently, you should water the plant periodically, but don't drown it. Frankly, you might also be able to gently pull the plant up and successfully transplant it, particularly if the existing soil it is growing in is soft and pliable. If you use that method, you may lose a little of the soil; but with the plant being dormant, that may not matter. Above all else, beware the sky-is-falling comments of the Invasive Plant Nazi.

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

jay is way too "into" invasives to offer a balanced opinion. Lovely as the mahonia flowers are in winter, they soon turn into berries and those get spread by critters to other plants - even natural parks.

If you want to enjoy the flowers, please cut them off afterwards so that they don't set fruit. The natural areas around you would certainly appreciate it. :)

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    12 years ago

Shrub is already in the yard....just being moved from one place to another (that's what I read).

So, from an invasive stand point, is this one plant the first foothold of M. bealei in the area or have they been planted about already?

If you're really worried that your leatherleaf mahonia is 'patient #1', snip off the spent flowers as suggested.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

The funniest part of Jay's comment is that I don't think he even read my post. I think the reason he comes across as he does is that he feels more comfortable responding that way and diverting attention from the facts, instead of actually trying to understand the reality of the situation and engaging in adult conversation. He seems like a smart guy in some ways, but definitely has a contrarian viewpoint (at best) or a considerable lack of understanding (maybe both) regarding invasives plants. At this point, I'm not going to be real surprised if he goes on a crusade for kudzu (his next "fine horticultural treasure"). LOL

Anyway, as I said above, this particular plant doesn't present nearly as much of a problem in NC as some other problem plants, so keeping it would not be horrible (at least that's what the consensus of the experts seems to be currently).

Removing the flowers/fruit is one way to prevent offspring, if done permanently and regularly, BUT it's not all that easy on this plant (you'll get stuck unless you are wearing very thick/though gloves).

• katkerri
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you all for valuable information. i will move the mahonia bealei to a new location and be sure to clip the fragrant flowers for indoor enjoyment :).

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

I am wondering why this Mahonia doesn't seem to self-sow much over here and is not a problem. It certainly sets berries here but I've never heard of a seedling problem. What is it about the climate in parts of the US which it likes so much? Anybody know?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

I don't know what the factors are that make this species invasive in some areas here in the US, but it may only be partly related to climate. Factors like differences/variations in pollination agents, dispersal agents, predation, etc, or combinations of any of these factors may be causal.

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

Dear flora_uk,
    Here in the American Southeast, leatherleaf mahonia will self-sow but in the least offensive sense. One will find an occasional seedling, but certainly not a great Burnham Wood forest of them--just a plant, here and there, to share with a neighbor or friend. A person with normal sensibilities would not view leatherleaf mahonia invasive.

And j0nd03, it may be risky for you to assume that my opinion is the "minority opinion." I'm sure that you must be sufficiently Internet-savy to realize that there may be readers who share my opinion but prefer "to lurk" rather than to voice their own opinions. Your phrase "outlying beliefs" is certainly not warmly civil, now is it?

And yes, Brandon, I will defend the virtues of kudzu, while well-knowing, through sixty years of observation, its peculiar vices. We are privileged to live on an old South Carolina Up Country farm where kudzu was introduced generations ago when the vine was brought into this country to combat decades of improper farming techniques. We've battled kudzu for as long as I can remember to keep it in check. And believe me, it's a constant battle; but that doesn't mean that I condemn this lovely Oriental plant. As you must know, it has gorgeous leaves and beautiful wisteria-like racemes of fragrant purple flowers that appear in late summer and emit a delicious perfume. Where I tolerate a patch of kudzu is over our septic tank's drainage field. As Erma Bombeck said, "The Grass Is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank." So, too, the kudzu. The kudzu makes it unnecessary for me to pollute the atmosphere with lawnmower fumes; I declared a moratorium on lawnmower use several years ago. Though clingy with a tendency to strangle, kudzu produces an abundance of oxygen, which helps all Native and Exotic and Human Creation. Kudzu provides food for humans and animals alike. I haven't acquired a taste for it; but we do have a colony of woodchucks living in a warren underneath the kudzu. They consume kudzu as one of their primary food sources. There are also local basket weavers who make and sell lovely baskets from dried kudzu vines and roots. Everything has its virtues and its vices. It's all in the eye of the beholder, don't you think?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

"A person with normal sensibilities would not view leatherleaf mahonia (as) invasive."

So, Jay, you believe people like the scientists at NCSU (who wrote the article linked above), the environmentalist over at the Oak Ridge National Lab near me (that list this species as one of the most problematic invasive plant found on the Oak Ridge Reservation), and the experts that work with the various EPPC's (who include this species in their lists of invasive plants) don't have "normal sensibilities"? Maybe you are using the term "normal sensibilities" to describe people who are not educated in the subject or who have a poor understanding of the concepts; those are the only people (well, actually person) that I see making such outlandish claims.

"And j0nd03, it may be risky for you to assume..."

Jay, de-Nile is a river in Egypt and you should be careful while floating down it, so as not to drown.

"And yes, Brandon, I will defend the virtues of kudzu..."

Well, I must admit, this paragraph was amusing...maybe a little twisted...but still amusing.

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

Well, Brandon, as Clarence Thomas, the eminent Supreme
    Court justice, said: Whoop-de-damn-do!

Add to that a Bronx Cheer to you.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

ROFLMBO. Thanks for confirming what I was pretty sure I already knew about you Jay. (-:

I knew it...I knew it...and I love the feeling of confirmation....

• gusolie
    12 years ago

Ironically, Mahonia bealei cultivars are displayed quite prominently at NCSU's J.C. Raulston Arboretum. And for good reason, their winter-flowering prowess is magnificent when you are tired of looking at camellias and Japanese apricots...

As for the seeming inability for the species to self-sow in SW England, I also sense some climate (or photo-period) aspect being involved). ANY species of bee will frequent blooming leatherleaf mahonia if the temepratures are warm enough for wings to move...but, I sense any fruits do not have ample heat or daylength or something to fully mature. Flora_UK, do you actually see immature fruits at all? Or do they abort. I can't imagine birds would pluck the less nutritious green fruits off that quickly...

And finally, while I respect Jay's opinion on being rather open-minded on plants that may act invasive, I do think something's a bit awry when someone is smitten about kudzu (and lives in the south and has accolades for it for several decades). Perhaps he makes a moonshine out of the leaves. Can you do the same for Oriental wisteria?

I hope the release of these new, stinky kudzu beetles doesn't ruin your picturesque Carolina landscape of the famous exotic vine...

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

"And finally, while I respect (person x)'s opinion on being rather open-minded on (criminal acts), I do think something's a bit awry when someone is smitten about (mass murderers)..."

Hmmmmm

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

gusolie - I see long strings of ripe purple/black fruit. Pollination is not the problem. I'm not saying it doesn't self sow at all, just that it's not a problem. There are a lot blooming around here at the moment, all in gardens or parks and none, that I've ever seen, in the countryside. The scent and sight is a highlight of my walk to work along with the winter flowering honeysuckles (which also don't seem to self sow although they produce berries and the birds do eat them) and the Viburnums.

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Mahonia bealei is native in the UK - it is timed to be available when pollinators are there so I would expect that it would get pollinated there.

It gets pollinated in the southeastern US thanks to non-native honeybees. The native bees are dormant at that time.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

'Mahonia bealei is native in the UK'

Only if you think the UK is situated somewhere in China .....

It flowers in mid Winter here - the worst possible time for pollinators. But it does get pollinated and produce berries - it just doesn't seed around with abandon.

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

I beg your pardon, flora_uk! I don't know why I thought it was native to the UK. Won't make that mistake again. ;)

• botann
    12 years ago

I have some Mahonia aquifolium planted under a Doug Fir. The Mahonia could benefit from a good pruning. It's over 12 ft. tall (4 meters)
    I get very few seedlings. It spreads slowly by suckers.
    Mike

{{gwi:240548}}