Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summerstar_gw

True size of Wine & Roses Weigela

summerstar
13 years ago

I would like to add two of these to our back garden. Since I'm going to add other plants next to them, I need to know the mature size of this shrub. I've read a lot of good things about Wine and Roses from old posts on this forum, but not much mentioned about ultimate size. I'd appreciate your comments. I'm in central Virginia.

Comments (3)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

link says 4 to 5 feet .... but a lot of size estimates are at 10 years ....

BUT ... and there is always a big one... with ANY flowering shrub.. its all about REJUVENATION PRUNING ... and how proactive you want to be in keeping it within some boundary ... google that term ....

with flowering shrubs.. there is a timing the cut issue.. and a right and wrong way to do it ...

i could not find the annual growth rate easily .. but a vast majority of flowering shrubs.. grow at an annual rate ... and keep at that rate for a long long time.. and that is what makes finding a 'true' size near impossible ..

e.g. ... a lilac can easily be maintained at an 8 foot ball ... BUT i have seen them 20 feet tall and 40 feet wide.. at old farm homesteads.. probably been there 100 years ... they just dont stop growing ...

i doubt this is that vigorous.. but it is all about your willingness to go in there and prune it every couple years .. and .. the cultivar is just not that old ... so there is no real history of what it can do over the decades ...

good luck
    ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

summerstar, I've had a W&R in our back perennial bed for 5 years. It has never been pruned. It appears to have really slowed down at about 4'X4', though it may have added a teeny bit of size over the past couple of years. We purchased it as a small, one gallon plant of about 18".

This year, we will do some heading back cuts on about 1/4 of the branches, just to insure that it remains as full and shrubby as it is now. That procedure will probably be done every year and is a good method to manage the overall height of a plant, too.

I'm a total believer of rejuvenation pruning (which entails cutting a plant all the way back to the ground in one fell swoop) once a plant has become completely overgrown, but that's not likely to happen to this plant. Just be sure to give it enough elbow room. We really like ours and will probably add another one in a different part of the garden.

By the way, ours is growing in full blazing sun in red Alabama clay soil.

• summerstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I wondered about Wine and Roses because the few I've seen seem to be shorter than the variety "Ruby Red" I grow.

I will be pruning new Weigelas every year or so, cutting about one-third of all the old stems, right to the ground. I did this with my Ruby Red Weigela. Other stems were cut back by two feet, depending. I did this after bloom time the 2nd year and WHA-LA what a difference in fullness, correct shape, and abundance of blooms pruning made. When I first planted my two Ruby Reds, they had three or four long rangy stems, each one about four and five feet long . . . looking pretty ugly. The pruning turned these two into very pretty plants the next following summer.

I'll prune Wine and Roses the same. I wrote primarily to get a ballpark estimate cause the spacing in my perennial bed is tight. I'm supposing an approximate 4 x 4 is good to go on.

Thanks for letting me know it grows well in red clay in Alabama. I have a hot garden here in Central VA and wonder about the burgundy leaves under the hot sun here.