Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tall, thin evergreen suggestions for foundation

Posted by dbjc z6PA (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 27, 06 at 18:05

Need suggestions for thin evergreens to anchor either side of my foundation planting. Maximum height can be about six feet but the width can't be more than 3 feet. I don't mind annual pruning to control size if the pruning won't ruin the look of the shrubs. The area is full sun. I've already looked at sky pencil hollies but I think they are too thin and would look odd. Shrubs already planted include blue luster hollies, nandinas, gold mop threadleaf cypress, and a knockout rose.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tall, thin evergreen suggestions for foundation

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 28, 06 at 4:44

What about that columnar box?

o

There are a number of tall narrow junipers--"Skyrocket' comes to mind, though don't try the J. scopulorums in light, sandy soil; they get tip dieback. I did and regret I didn't know about the problem sooner. They look awful. Also, consider what wet snow can do to a tall narrow evergreen.

o

There is also a columnar Japanese Holly. Donal Wyman in his shrub book gives a list of columnar plants.

o

The 'Sky Pencil's will fill out a bit as they mature. Other possibilities are Buxus 'Graham Blandy' or Euonymus 'Green Spire', an excellent columnar selection from the National Arboretum. It is very similar in habit to the Sky Pencil (extremely erect and upright), but faster growing, much denser and will not exceed about 2'-3' in diameter. May need a bit of protection in winter in your zone.

o

osmanthus--fragrant tea olives, lovely

kat

o

There's boxwood called 'Green Tower'. It grows 6-8 feet tall and 2 feet wide with dark green leaves. They're pricey though.

o

greenspire bekko
irish juniper
little red holly

o

best place to buy a evergreen hight 15 to 16 feet 4 feet wide fondation north facing protected . Cranbury New Jersey. has large Amaerican hplly and a beautiful hew hedge 35 feet away with canadain hemlocks as well Beautiful landscape well thought out.

trying to hide ulity electric box and wirers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here