Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
brown holly leaves

Posted by sunnytop 5 Ne (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 1, 09 at 18:21

This is the second winter for my two holly bushes. The leaves are mostly brown with some green on the interior of the plant. The stems are green lower down so the plant is not dead. I don't know much about holly but I don't remember them browing like that last year. Does this sound normal and might they green back up in spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: brown holly leaves

Did you perhaps prune them late into the season? Any growth that was fairly recent - and which hadn't had a chance to fully harden off - would turn brown when exposed to freezing temperatures. That would explain why interior growth, which was mature, would not have been affected.

Anyway, as long as the plant is dead (and it doesn't sound like it is at this point) then it should recover and put out new green growth in the spring.

Just a thought.

o

No, never pruned it. Thanks for the response.

o

Winter burn? Holly is susceptible to winter burn when subjected to strong winds.

o

We did have some strong winds. Would you recommend wrapping them with burlap like one does to an arborvitae type evergreen? I did spray some antidessicant on them earlier but evidentally it was worthless.

o

Burlapping couldn't hurt if they're in an exposed location. I have only one specimen to go by here - Merry Berry (?) -one which is supposed to have a chance in zone 4. This is only its second season and it's still quite small. Last winter it dropped all its leaves, but leafed out nicely this spring. Now it's insulated under a few feet of snow. My major experience with holly was in Maryland where they were totally carefree, so this is really an experiment.

o

That is encouraging that yours dropped all it's leaves and leafed back. Mine is quite small too and second season. I hope it shoots up a bit faster next season. Mine are China Girl and Boy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here