Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ilex cornuta

Posted by sam_md z7 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 19:38

My neighbor has a row of these shrubby hollies along her fence. They are heavily berried and the habit is somewhat upright. I'm calling them I.cornuta 'Needlepoint' just because that matches online images.
Is anyone here familiar with 'Needlepoint'? I guess it is self-fruiting since there are no male cornutas around. With some careful attention they could make a nice hedge. Wonder how they like our recent single digits?
 photo 12-31-13003.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ilex cornuta

They will be fine with the single digit temps. Cold as he// for us but they will show no damage. Used to have a nice specimen of a much more prickly culitvar. Don't worry, they will survive.

o

Sam, these particular hollies bear observation after severe cold. Their hardiness depends on lots of factors. Wind exposure, root system establishment, pruning and fertilizing timing, and even irrigation practices will all affect this plant's ability to go through a tough winter.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 17:28

We had a freak storm several years ago and my 10 foot cornutas (with three foot of snow pack...odd too), frozen back to 1-2 foot stubs (if not to the ground).
We recorded -27F at my house in NE Oklahoma...where normal extreme lows over the past ten years had been 5-10F each year.

o

Could be 'Needlepoint'. Dwarf Burford has leaves with more texture and seem to be more recurved along margins. Of course Needlepoint is a more upright grower.

You'd have to compare to regular Burford and maybe also with I. cornuta 'Fine Line'.

o

I have been finding the wild offspring of these shrubs in my woods over the past few years. Believe me those "horns" HURT if you bump into them. Thankfully they're slow growing so easy to keep controlled.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here