Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jj_upstateny

info and growth rates for Blue Hollies (such as Prince/Princess)

jj_upstateny
15 years ago

Hi all,

I'm a newbie. I just removed a row of overgrown hemlocks from the edge of our property in a suburban neighborhood. They were very tall and scraggly on the bottom, so they blocked a ton of light but didn't add much. I would like to put in some holly trees for some screening and to attract wildlife. I don't really want a hedge, but rather would like to put in two or three plants (how many??) that, when fully grown, would be 10 to 12 feet tall or thereabouts. They would get a sun for several hours a day. My lot is long and shallow, and this is the short end, so I can stagger the plantings or set them back and give them room to get some width. This length of property that is now tree-less is probably 15-20 feet between a short retaining wall on one side of the property, and another hemlock on the other. The soil is pretty good, not compacted, but does have some roots in these from those trees (plus a large maple nearby). It is bordered by a neighbor's driveway on one side, and lawn on the other.

I'm a newbie but Blue Prince/Princess, China Boy/Girl, or Blue Stallion/Maid seem like good options. I'd like them to be somewhat pyramidal when fully grown, but I'm not picky -- I'd like not to have to do many prunings each year for years on end. I'd be willing to invest in small tree specimans (a few feet tall?), if I can find them, which will probably mean getting them through someone who will install them.

So... I'd love feedback on the pros and cons of these cultivars, people's experiences, and in particular a sense of how fast these grow. I see some web sites that say that these grow to 6-8 feet, then others that say they grow to 12-14. Any suggestions from those who are more experienced than I?

Thanks so much!

Jennifer

Comments (5)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

Drive around and look for some. If you can't find any, understand there is probably a very good reason for that. Around here, they are plants that are very common in nurseries, common in urban areas, and totally unknown farther out.

• jj_upstateny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Mad Gallica. I've not seen a ton, but this is possibly because I walk on the same streets in my neighborhood. (I walk a lot, actually, just in circles!) You are right to point out that locals might well have the best sense of what works.

Anyone else have thoughts? Anyone know how fast these grow?

• gr8gr10
    13 years ago

ARGGGHHH!!! This nice, pleasant poster asked my question OVER 2 YEARS AGO NOW...and the only reply was from someone telling her to go look around her neighborhood!?!?

PLEASE HELP ME (& Jenifer, if she is still curious after 2 friggin' years), to answer questions about the growth rates of Holy Blue Prince & Blue Princess: How fast did they grow for you? What zone are you in (I'm in 9)? What factors do you suspect affected its growth rate?? What about growing in clay or semi-shaded conditions.

Anyone who coupld provide ANY of these contributions would be providing an ENORMOUS service to people who have hedge issues and would like to have their neighbors "disappear" behind something so much more attractive--and before the 2nd coming if possible. Like me.

THANK YOU!!!
    P.S. I think Ilex meserveae Blue Prince and Blue Princess are just gorgeous, and I am really hoping they can grow tall enough to make a lush & true screening hedge between me and my neighbor.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR (TIMELY!!) HELP AGAIN~~

• oath5
    13 years ago

You are in zone 9, I would reconsider a different plant.

Most sites that profile or sell either of these hollies can be easily found online for both 'Blue Prince' and 'Blue Princess', they are very common and it is VERY easy to find information on them. A google search is all you need.

http://www.evergreenplantnursery.com/Blue-Princess-Holly-p/holbpc1.htm
    Ilex x meserveae 'Blue Princess'
    A Meserve hybrid holly that is the female clone match for Blue Prince Holly. A much improved version of Blue Girl Holly, and known as one of the best berry producers of all Hollies. Berries are a dark red color, and are set against foliage that is a lustrous bluish green color. Has a good, dense growth habit and is very broad in growth as well - not quite as pyramidal as Blue Prince. Considered as one of the hardiest of all the Meserve hybrid hollies, right along with Blue Prince. Likes full sun, but will accept fair amounts of shade as well. Somewhat moist, well drained soil is preferred for best results. Must use Blue Prince to pollinate in order to achieve berry production.

Height: 12-15 ft

Spread: 8-10 ft

Growth Rate: Moderate ( 4"-6" avg per year )

Hardiness Zones: 5-8

Sun Exposure: Full sun to shade

Soil Preference: Average to moist & fertile - well drained

Now notice is says zones 5-8. You being in zone 9 indicates it is somewhat out of the range. You can try it, but I would imagine there would be better choices for your zone.

I would look into other alternatives for your site. Camellias, Daphne, Ceanothus. Where do you live? I would make the choice much easier if you indicated where in the country you actually live!

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

I bought 3 large Blue Princesses in 2005 for a tough area (some morning sun, tree roots, minimal irrigation) and they have done fairly well. I did a lot of supplemental watering the first couple of years, but not that much afterwards. They are not real fast growing, but I think that would be the conditions. Looking at these pictures, seems to be about a foot in 5 years.

{{gwi:240981}}

{{gwi:240982}}

{{gwi:240983}}