Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Privet in the Winter

Posted by Starz1122 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 12, 12 at 23:03

We have received a request from our neighbor to heavily prune our mature privet shrub. We would like to prune it so it is about half of its current size. Since it is winter now, I was concerned about pruning it in this cold weather. Temperatures are usually in the 30s or 40s during the day and dip down below freezing at night. I have heard that some shrubs can be safely pruned in the winter but I wasn't sure if this applies to privet. We'd like to comply with our neighbors request as long as it doesn't harm the shrub. Does anyone know if this type of shrub can be safely pruned in the winter in zone 6?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Privet in the Winter

hi there,
wouldnt do it when it is actual freezing. As long as it is some degrees above freezing u should be fine. You can hardly kill privet by pruning it. If you reduce its size that much it is wise not just to whack it down but to cut out the oldest/thickest branches right down to the base and thin it out somewhat. Thus you get stronger new shoots.
Perhaps that helps, bye, Lin

o
RE: Pruning Privet in the Winter

you do not renovate an old shrub.. or privet.. by simply cutting it halfway down ....

what you will end up with.. next summer.. is green on the sides.. and a big brown hole on top ... which will take a few years to cover back up ...

read thru some of the articles at the link ...

and good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here