Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samnsarah

Growing Korean Boxwood

Tim
10 years ago

Does anyone Buxus microphylla var. koreana will grow well as a foundation plant in South-central Kansas if it receives morning sun and afternoon shade in well-drained sandy soil?

Comments (6)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Here, the biggest issue is the sun exposure during the winter. It should be kept out of the prevailing winds, and in at least filtered shade when the ground is frozen.

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

IF I plant Korean Boxwood I would plant it on the east side of my house where it would receive afternoon shade. It would get a little bit of shelter from the north wind but not much.
    I'm also considering Pinus Mugo pumilio 'Abruzzi-Maiella a.k.a. Dwarf Mugo Pine.

• hortster
    10 years ago

Ditto what mad_gallica said. Watering during winter drought is a must. I have a naturalized 'Green Velvet' that was originally in the shade but due to the loss of several bushy river birches is now in full sun and winter exposure. Turns orange every winter but seems to be more sun tolerant than other boxwoods:

{{gwi:241158}}

Also have 'Winter Gem' as a sheared hedge on the north and it always looks much better in winter:

{{gwi:241159}}

My rule of thumb has always been that a northern exposure is best around here and east is second best. North wind isn't the culprit, south to southwest in winter(warmer and dry) is.

hortster

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. That is good information from both of you.

I know this is a whole different plant and maybe a question for a different message, but are either of you familiar with Dwarf Mugo Pine? I see some dwarf pine shrubs/trees around Kingman, and they seem to be doing very well, so I would tend to think that Dwarf Mugo would do well too. Are they drought tolerant and able to thrive in harsh conditions (i.e. south drying winter wind)?

• hortster
    10 years ago

I've had a couple. I finally gave up on them since my neighbor also had one 50' away and wouldn't treat the pine tip moth that is prevalent around here. I got tired of having to spray for it three times a year to protect my mugos from his continuing infestation (tip moth has three generations). Having said that, if treated it can be a handsome and otherwise hardy plant.

hortster

• Tim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, hort. It sounds like Dwarf Mugo Pine may be a better option than Korean Boxwood on the east side of my house to replace those Wegelia Wine and Roses.