Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Korean Boxwood

Posted by plantingman 6b (SC KS climate) (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 2:06

Does anyone Buxus microphylla var. koreana will grow well as a foundation plant in South-central Kansas if it receives morning sun and afternoon shade in well-drained sandy soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Korean Boxwood

Here, the biggest issue is the sun exposure during the winter. It should be kept out of the prevailing winds, and in at least filtered shade when the ground is frozen.

o

IF I plant Korean Boxwood I would plant it on the east side of my house where it would receive afternoon shade. It would get a little bit of shelter from the north wind but not much.
I'm also considering Pinus Mugo pumilio 'Abruzzi-Maiella a.k.a. Dwarf Mugo Pine.

o

Ditto what mad_gallica said. Watering during winter drought is a must. I have a naturalized 'Green Velvet' that was originally in the shade but due to the loss of several bushy river birches is now in full sun and winter exposure. Turns orange every winter but seems to be more sun tolerant than other boxwoods:

photo IMG_4600.jpg

Also have 'Winter Gem' as a sheared hedge on the north and it always looks much better in winter:

photo IMG_4601.jpg

My rule of thumb has always been that a northern exposure is best around here and east is second best. North wind isn't the culprit, south to southwest in winter(warmer and dry) is.

hortster

o

Thank you. That is good information from both of you.

I know this is a whole different plant and maybe a question for a different message, but are either of you familiar with Dwarf Mugo Pine? I see some dwarf pine shrubs/trees around Kingman, and they seem to be doing very well, so I would tend to think that Dwarf Mugo would do well too. Are they drought tolerant and able to thrive in harsh conditions (i.e. south drying winter wind)?

o

I've had a couple. I finally gave up on them since my neighbor also had one 50' away and wouldn't treat the pine tip moth that is prevalent around here. I got tired of having to spray for it three times a year to protect my mugos from his continuing infestation (tip moth has three generations). Having said that, if treated it can be a handsome and otherwise hardy plant.

hortster

o

Thanks, hort. It sounds like Dwarf Mugo Pine may be a better option than Korean Boxwood on the east side of my house to replace those Wegelia Wine and Roses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here