Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Lonicera Nitida Elegant good for a boxwood alternative?

Posted by AshlieNeevel 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 5:32

Hi everyone I would like to know if lonicera nitida Elegant is a good hedge alternative to boxwood? If not that specific type which type?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Lonicera Nitida Elegant good for a boxwood alternative?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 0:37

Not as cold tolerant as box.

o

Im zone 8 but sometimes it gets as cold as zone 7 here.

o

My boxwoods have had a limited life span. After about 20 years, most are dead or dying. The last 4-5 years thay were not attractive. I am into edible landscape, so I am considering replacing my boxwoods with cranberry bushes. Has anyone tried these in their landscapes on the border of their walks?

o

Ive never even heard of cranberry bushes. Can they be trimmed into neatly clipped hedges?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 3:52

Viburnum opulus and V. trilobum are nothing like box and box-like shrubs, and do not lend themselves to close trimming.

Box honeysuckle is not as slow-growing, dense and tidy as dwarf boxes such as 'Suffruticosa'. Winters where it gets down to approximately 10 F. or somewhat below are sufficient to kill it back.

Temperature ranges attributed to hardiness zones are based on averaging of annual lows, so there is no single temperature specific to a particular zone - and no combination of winter conditions specific to any one zone. Any of multiple different zones can over a span of time have several different winters that got down to [insert temperature here].

o

I use Lonicera pileata for both hedging and dark green 'relief' in the garden. It thrives in shade and sun and gets ornamental black berries. A very useful plant. There is a low-growing version as well ('Royal Carpet').

o

I'm needing to replace lots of boxwood due to blight. I was wondering the same about hedging the Lonicera Nitida. I was also looking at Dwarf Boxleaf Euyonmus -Euonymus japonicus "Microphyllus", and Ilex Crenata Soft touch or Hoogendorn. I was wondering if anyone had used any of these for low tight hedging like boxwood? Thanks.

o

Hey ALL50 you would probably do better to pose your question in its own thread so it appears at the top of the listing so people will see it.

I went ahead and planted boxwoods. I planted 310 of them. Here is a pic

o

I didn't realize that this was bumped up to the top of the list. I mispoke all50. You still might do better to start a fresh thread

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here