Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank1203

Shrub Suggestion

frank1203
12 years ago

Hi, I need a suggestion on what type of shrub I might use for an area of my back yard please. At the top of a small incline in the corner of my back yard there is an area that has been leveled out that is only about 22"-24" deep and maybe 36" wide. Directly behind this area is my fence. So the bottom line is I am looking for a shrub that does not have an overly deep root structure and will tend to grow more straight up instead of spreading. I prefer an evergreen and the area would get mostly sun during the day. Any suggestions?

Comments (20)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

why do you feel you must fill this 2 foot square area????

a picture might really help me to understand the situation

ken

• Suzette316
    12 years ago

Ken, may I ask, how is your response helpful? It's really not your business why this poster wants to plant something in their 2' square area. Your questioning him on this is rude. He simply wants some plant suggestions. If you can't do that, then it would be the polite thing to not reply at all rather than try to make the poster feel foolish.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

suzette316 - Ken is a long time poster here and I am quite sure he is not intending to be rude. He has a characteristic 'voice' which may come over to newcomers as a bit gruff and he tends to answer fairly tersely but he is actually asking for important further information about the growing situation. The measurements and the proximity to the fence mean that this could well be an unsuitable place to try to grow anything. I think Ken just wanted to know why it was important to plant there and for a picture to give responders a better idea of what might be possible. 'Simply wanting some plant suggestions' is not actually that simple. A lot of information is needed to make truly helpful suggestions. Plantsmanship is one of those areas where the more you know the more you realise you don't know.

Maybe the OP will return and respond. Possibly he is not bothered by Ken's answer at all. Until he returns we don't know if any offence has been caused.

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

Dear Suzette316:
    Have Amy Vanderbilt and Emily Post appointed you the arbiter of good taste? If anyone's posting has a rude tone, yours certainly does.

• frank1203
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow. I certainly wasn't intending to cause any controversy and I was not offended by ken's comments. I appreciate what he was trying to say especially without having too much to go on. Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of the area, but it is as described. The best way to explain this is that on the corner of my property there is a shed bordered by some landscape stone. The shed is set into the hill (small incline) using a retaining wall to save precious yard space. On the left side of the shed is a curbstone border (which keeps in the stones), then beautifully sodded back lawn. So, there is a flat area to the top of this incline that is about the same width as the stones between the shed and the curbstone where no grass can grow. I'd say it is about 24 inches deep before the fence starts. it looks kind of empty - like it needs a shrub right there. I don't care about the back of the shed as nothing can be seen, but you can see this little area I am describing and it looks like it needs something. Hope I didn't confuse you further. Thanks again.

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Depending on what is growing on either side of the smallish space, it might fill in naturally when the adjacent plants sense the open sunlight available.

I don't know how Ken ended up in 4 replies in your topic, but his request for a picture is the prudent thing to do. A picture would be very helpful.

John

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

suzette, ken is merely trying to get more information from Frank. If you think HE'S rude, then I dread how you'll scold me when I try to ferret out the facts of someone's pest problems, lol.

Frank, I understand "it looks like it needs something"...we all do. What is the sunlight situation in this location? Might you be interested in a herbaceous perennial display or maybe even long blooming annuals? If you are visualizing a shrub of some sort, should it be evergreen (broad leaf OR needle-leaf)? Have you thought about an ornamental grass of some sort?

• frank1203
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, I'm not sure I know how to post a picture. Can someone help. I think I might be able to find one that could tell the story. Thanks.

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

Why not forget things horticultural and install a BVM Shrine, especially with the site being slightly elevated and, thus, requiring one to lift up his/her eyes to view it? A fine piece of sacred garden art would satisfy the longings of the soul.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

frank1203 - if you put your pictures onto Photobucket or a similar hosting site each photo will appear with various codes below it. You can copy the HTML code and paste it into your message. It will show up as gobbledygook at first but when you go into 'Preview Message' your picture will appear.

• MollyDog
    12 years ago

Here's a searchable database that may be of assistance

Here is a link that might be useful: Univ of Conn Plant Database

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

Also keep your mind open to other, non shrub possibilities to fill that hole. Would a clematis on an obelisk or tuteur give you that something you want or even one trained on your fence? A piece of sculpture, whether it has spiritual significance like Jay's suggestion or is a puchased piece of art or a piece of natural beauty like some weathered driftwood or an interesting stone, could fill that small chunk of space and you wouldn't have to worry about keeping it to its allotted size.

Below is a link to the New England forum's FAQ on how to post photos on GW.

Here is a link that might be useful: How do I include a photo in my post?

• frank1203
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, so I think I figured out how to upload the picture. The area in question has a black arrow pointed at it.

Thanks again for your help.

• frank1203
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess I really didn't figure it out because I can't seem to find my picture!

• frank1203
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:241242}}

Here is a picture. The area in question has a black arrow pointing to it. Please let me know what you think. Thanks again.

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Trellis and clematis if you must put something there. Nelly Mosser is a looker...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Yes - a vine of some sort on the fence would work well.

• Cher
    12 years ago

You could always research Ilex Sky Pencil. Very narrow evergreen Holly.
    Cher

• frank1203
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have alot to check out and research. I am very intrigued by the idea of a religious figure or sculpture to fill that area. In fact I have one that is about 30" high and made for the outdoors.My question is - if I did choose to go that route, how would I dress up that area? I'm sure you don't mean just plop it down there. Do I make something pretty for it to sit in? Do I sink it in the ground a bit? How can I make that area look nice with the statue in it?

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

Plant English ivy (_Hedera helix_) around the base of the BVM Shrine and let it cascade down the precipice. The evergreen ivy will dress that bank up, and it is very low-maintenance. Just keep the weeds pulled out of the ivy until it takes hold and maintains itself independently. Cast Iron Plant (_Aspidistra eliator_) would be another fine plant to use with the BVM Shrine; but I think you're too far north for it to survive outdoors.

Re: Anchoring the BVM Shrine. That will depend on whether you think it needs to be anchored or not. Is it heavy enough to support itself unanchored? Or would it be possible for a raccoon or a feral cat to knock it over? If the answer to this is "Yes!", then, by all means, anchor it. Or better, yet, kill the feral cat before it multiplies.