Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzette316

What to plant for height, but not width . . .

Suzette316
12 years ago

Hi everyone! I was wondering if you could give me some ideas of what to plant along my back fence that would give us some privacy, while providing flowers and lovely foliage.

Our backyard is quite narrow, so I would like something that grows no shorter than 8' but no taller than 12' or so. Width-wise, I would like it no more than 10' (less would be better.)

We have typical Georgia clay soil, but I could amend the soil in that area. It gets a lot of morning sun and then goes into light shade around mid afternoon.

I'm not necessarily looking for a dense privacy screen, just something to block the direct view of the houses behind us. So even something a bit more airy would fine. I'm really open to hearing any an all suggestions.

It can be tree or shrub, evergreen or deciduous. We love to feed the birds so if it had berries at some point that's a bonus. Flowers are preferred (but not a deal breaker)and if they smell heavenly, that would be even better! :-)

Thanks so much for any help you can give me. And since I'm brand new to this great forum, if there is another area here that also has information that would help me, I'd love to be directed to it.

~Suzette

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

I would like something that grows no shorter than 8' but no taller than 12'

===>>> good luck with that ...

in my experience.. anything that grows to 8 feet.. is NOT going to magically stop at 12 ...

though thru selective pruning.. you may keep it in that range ...

the problem you will encounter.. is how to prune at height.. between 8 and 12 feet... forever ... the older i get.. the harder it is to do hard labor on a ladder ...

so i think you need to think about adding pruning to your variables ...

ken

• Suzette316
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I do understand that plant heights (as well as widths) are variable, but I was hoping to get some suggestions that are in the ballpark of the dimensions I mentioned. They're not written in stone, just a point of reference to those who might have some suggestions for me. Thanks though for taking the time to respond. :-)

• strobiculate
    12 years ago

some where along the line, people got the impression that plants are kinda like factory made legos...ask for what you want, and there is some mad scientist somewhere who has (or can) make it for you.

The fact is, plants are living things. Sometimes, living things perform in manners that aren't quite exactly what you desire, and there's really not that much that can be done about it, because there are far too many factors involved.

That being said, there are a number of plants whose general characteristics may fit.

Viburnums are a large group. Certain ones can barely reach three feet, others can attain small tree like proportions at around 20'. There are many others. I did say there are multiple varieties? Like about 20 pages of species? Spend some time, get to know them. Some people never get out.

General rule of thumb...deciduous shrubs like to grow about as wide as they are tall. Truly columnar deciduous shrubs are rare, and no matter what people want to say about certain Amelanchier cultivars, it's more of an semi-broad upright oval than a truly columnar shrub.

Calycanthus, Heptacodium, Fothergilla, Hamemalis...these would be less traditional choices in a world dominated by lilac, viburnum and spirea. Kolkwitzia woul be on the large side, Deutzia on the small side.

Depending on where you live, the hardyier selections of southern magnolia (Edith Bogue, Bracken's Brown Beauty) may very well qualify, or they may over stretch the desired size range. So there are qualifiers that may allow you to be creative in a world that generally craves such.

Then there are conifers. A long, dark journey fraught with mayhem and treacherous characters. A few may even be lecherous, although they usually fawn over greenery. Perhaps a small portal of the internet may service, er, enable their concupiscence for the cone bearing.

• Suzette316
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Posted by strobiculate none (My Page) on Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 14:39
    "some where along the line, people got the impression that plants are kinda like factory made legos...ask for what you want, and there is some mad scientist somewhere who has (or can) make it for you.
    The fact is, plants are living things. Sometimes, living things perform in manners that aren't quite exactly what you desire, and there's really not that much that can be done about it, because there are far too many factors involved."

Honestly, I was just trying to give those of you with gardening expertise and knowledge a ballpark of what I was looking for in garden plants. If I came here and just said "I want a tree or shrub in my back yard, suggestions please", how would you know where to begin helping me to narrow my choices down?

It saddens me that folks come here looking for help, do their best to give you as much info as possible to help you help us, and we get called on the carpet for expecting too much and having unrealistic expectations.

Never mind. I'll do what I should have done all along and just do my own research on the 'net. I don't find this forum a friendly, helpful place afterall.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

It saddens me that folks come here looking for help, do their best to give you as much info as possible to help you help us, and we get called on the carpet for expecting too much and having unrealistic expectations.

===>>> what are you talking about...????

i asked.. is long term ongoing pruning or shearing an option.. if so.. then it makes a difference as to what may or may not be included in whatever is recommended ...

would you rather have something that makes your toes curl .. but requires some annual or biannual maintenance ..???

or do you want a 'plant and forget' plant .. that will never need to be pruned????

until you can define all the variables.. i dont know how you can develop a list of suggestions ... and in this case.. i dont really know if you have the physical capabilities to prune a plant above 8 feet tall ... personally i do not have that athletic ability anymore ... nor a budget to hire out the job [oh to die for a garden man to come and do these things]

seems like you are being rather defensive about it all .. but if i offended you .. I APOLOGIZE.. as that is NEVER my intent ...

good luck

ken

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

suzette316 - there are hundreds of plants which would fit your height criterion, ie around 3 metres, mostly shrubs, but a few small trees or huge perennials. Can you just confirm that the width you stated is 10 feet, not inches? That is actually quite wide if the height is 8 - 12 feet. There are so many options it is hard to know where to start. Maybe a look around your neighbourhood, local garden centres and in illustrated books and catalogues could give you some candidates that you like the look of and then you could check each one out as to mature size, season etc. While you're working on it how about a row of sunflowers for a quick jolly fix? Oh, and I wouldn't plant all one thing. A variety would be better for wildlife and lengthen the season of interest. I don't mean lots of different plants but may be 3 - 5 different types in repeated multiples depending on the size of your garden.

If you read strobiculate's suggestions there are some very good ideas there. Just skip the first 2 paras if they upset you. (I don't think that was the intention). People here need as much info as possible to make good suggestions so don't be put off if you are asked supplemental questions.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

If you have 'typical Georgia clay soil', then it must be red. If so, you enjoy some of the best planting soil in the country. Unless this location is very poorly drained, I wouldn't amend it at all. I sure don't do anything to my 'typical' red Alabama soil.

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

I would suggest a mixed planting if possible - that allows you to have some characteristic of each - something that flowers at different times, some evergreen, some not. It also allows for a more natural looking and disease resistant group.

Viburnums are very nice, spring blooming; they also have berries that feed the birds if you get two similar ones (but not identical). Is the area moist or dry? No real need to amend the soil, but generous applications of mulch (pine chips, pine straw, hardwood mulch but not dyed) really helps retain moisture and enrich the soil here in Georgia.

Another spring bloomer is Fothergilla. After the blooms, the foliage is very attractive and has good fall color.

Evergreen that can take morning sun but wants afternoon shade is Florida anise. Lovely leaves!

For evergreen and fall blooming, consider Tea Olive; flowers are tiny but fragrant.

One wax myrtle would be nice - evergreen, hardy and birds love the berries. It gets a little taller than you want eventually so if there is one area that could support something bigger that would be good.

Some of the larger japanese azaleas like Mrs. G.G. Gerbing would get big enough and they have a very full look.

• MollyDog
    12 years ago

Here's a searchable database that may help narrow your search

Here is a link that might be useful: Univ of Conn Plant Darabase

• Jody Voyles
    3 years ago

Give me a brake people, just answer the question as best you can and dispense with the over the top failed attempt to be witty. Thought website like these were meant to be helpful, stick to twitter and facebook to show out.

• Jody Voyles
    3 years ago

And look at me posting on a blog thats 8 years

• kitasei2
    3 years ago

Hahaha yes and we’re all the same characters! Still I picked up some useful tips so what the ?!