Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting mock orange

Posted by greyandamy (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 9:42

I have a 3 year old dwarf mock orange (3 years since I bought it). Unfortunately, I'd love to relocate it, but I also don't want to kill it. I know from past when I grew in container it's roots got huge, but it withstood root pruning. Would I kill it to transplant it? THANKS for ANY replies!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting mock orange

If you mean by mock orange Philadelphus species, sure, it can be transplanted. Especially one that is only 3 years in the ground. Dormant deciduous shrubs are rather easily transplanted, making sure you get as much of the root system as possible.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing/transplanting mock orange

o

Gardengal, THANK YOU SO MUCH, that article was fantastic. It will need some root pruning I'm sure... And probably go into 5 gallon pot until the grounds more workable... I smile at "only 3 years in ground" when I think how large those roots were, but they are were the white "prunable" kind...THANKS

o

as far as i am concerned ... its a RUN IT OVER WITH THE TRUCK type shrub ...

do whatever you want with it ...

move it as soon as the ground thaws... as many weeks prior to leaf out as possible ...

but even then.. i wouldnt be surprised if you could not do it in august...

it just wont matter with this plant ...

i dont understand the facts ... if the ground is workable enough to dig it up ... then replant it ... why mess with pots??? if you need to temporarily place it for some wall work ... move it again in late fall or next spring .... which would be the next PROPER planting time ... unless the project is completed in early spring ...

mother earth is just so much more forgiving than working with pots .... presuming you have no experience with holding stock in pots ...

i dig and move stuff all the time... you seem to be fixated on severing roots .... forget about it .. the real issue is PROPER TIMING .... and a good sized rootball.. considering the size of the plant .... on this one.. just go with twice as big as the pot 3 years ago .. and you should be all set ... and yes.. most likely you will sever every root .. or else it wont come out of the ground ....

after moving it.. mulch PROPERLY.. and keep it PROPERLY WATERED all summer ...

good luck

ken

o

Gardengal, THANK YOU SO MUCH, that article was fantastic. It will need some root pruning I'm sure... And probably go into 5 gallon pot until the grounds more workable... I smile at "only 3 years in ground" when I think how large those roots were, but they are were the white "prunable" kind...THANKS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here