Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrubs That Look Good All Year Long?

Posted by harryshoe z6easternPA (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 4, 10 at 9:47

I am about to remove a giant juniper hedge which runs across my front yard. The front yard is north of the house. My soil is acid and winter is moderate with temps rarely below 0.

Yes, the clean slate dream!

I am thinking of two beds each consisting of a small tree(s) (Redbud, Japanese Maple?) with some shrubs. Holly and azaleas come to mind and grow great here but I am wondering about something different.

Any suggestions for shrubs and small trees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrubs That Look Good All Year Long?

Some ideas for small, ornamental trees would be: Cornus mas, cornus kousa, cotinus (smoke tree - there a several beautiful cultivars), stewartia pseudocamillia, helesia carolina (silverbell), chionanthus virginicus (fringe tree).

o

• Posted by whaas 5a Milwaukee (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 5, 10 at 16:14

The vibrunum is king

o

Whaas,

I didn't mention Viburnum because that is my default mode tree. There are 10 on my half-acre lot already.

I was thinking of a grouping of one of the Doublefile cultivars. The 2 Mariessi (sp?) I have are only 2 years old and already full and very pretty for 3 seasons.

o

• Posted by picea 6A Cinci- Oh (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 8, 10 at 21:31

Conoy viburnum is very attractive. If you like variegated plant cornus Kousa Wolfeyes is very nice.

David

o

Holly and azaleas come to mind

When I bought this house I promised myself I wouldn't plant Holly because the leaves can be so painful when working in the gardens. Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful, but those damn leaves are like cactus. So I just enjoy them in other people's yards instead.

And as for Azalea... The last few years I have realized that I only enjoy them for those two weeks while they are blooming. The rest of the year they are really starting to bore me.

I am lately starting to enjoy Pieris, because it has so many different stages. In addition to being evergreen, the flower buds develop in the fall and stay all winter for a lovely effect.

Also a big fan of the viburnums not only for the flowers, berries, and foliage, but the branch structure is almost perfect in winter. Also consider a mass of Red Twigged Dogwood. You can't go wrong with those for all year beauty.

o

Just a note on the prickliness of holly leaves. Not all species and cultivars are prickly at all. I only ever grew one that was worse than a cactus--I think it was the Chinese holly (beautiful shiny leaves but extremely sharp). But all my current hollies are not bad at all (Blue Prince/Princess, China Girl, Nellie Stevens, Japanese holly, inkberry, and one with shiny round leaves and practically no prickly points (forget the name of the last one). Good luck!

o

Firepower Nandina is a homerun shrub in my garden. This is winter color.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here