Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sick dwarf Bottlebrush

Posted by MetalMan2004 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 10:38

I have 3 dwarf bottlebrush plants that were planted last year. They did just fine during the summer here in Houston, but the winter has kept them soggy and they don't get as much sun as they did in summer.

I am pretty sure it is the wetness that has them sick. I am not watering them, but it is Houston so it rains often and the soil (even though I amended it) has a lot of clay that holds the water in.

Can anyone help me save these plants? I have no idea what to do...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sick dwarf Bottlebrush

hey

it shouldnt need as much light in winter .... it should be dormant ... and many things get different colors in winter .. though i never grew a BB ...

i would expect over watering.. to create yellow leaves... as which i dont see any ...

other than that.. i can not really focus on your pic all that great ... might you not be able to get a bit closer???

could it be.. perhaps.. that you are getting a little antsy for spring.. and this thing isnt ready to get going yet ...??? ... give it a few more weeks .. and lets see what happens ... vigorous spring shoots would answer all your questions ....

give it time.. and obviously.. do not water if you know the soil is already damp ... insert finger and keep track ...

do you happen to know the full cultivar name??? .. might make a difference

ken

o

Here is a closer picture. Hopefully this is a little better. I certainly hear what you are saying, but unless I am mistaken, bottlebrushes are evergreen. I agree they shouldn't be exploding with growth yet, but they sure look sick to me...

These are Callistemon citrinus or little john bottlebrush.

o

In contrast, here is my full size bottle brush that was planted at the same time. it gets the same amount of water and even less light during winter and it looks nice and healthy.

o

That first picture shows you planted it right next to the downspout.
Could that have anything to do with it?
Mike

o

I think so. Definitely *not* the same amount of water for the two shrubs.

o

They need good drainage. And they ARE evergreen. I suspect soggy roots.

Sara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here