Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

transplanting or losing large mt laurel

greyandamy
13 years ago

One more question. When I moved to this house, I've had an old large decidious Mt Laurel. It hasn't been doing well, as it's crowded by an evergreen Mt Laurel and a retaining wall. The wall has been crumbling and will be rebuilt sometime this spring. They told me I'd lose the Mt Laurel, which is okay if need be. But is there any way to save it? I'm sure I'd have to cut way down, I don't know if roots are shallow like others in it's family. I can't tell by looking at it if it could be divided. It may be more work then possible, but does anyone have any experience or advice? THANKS AGAIN!!!

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

how big is it???

i prefer to not work real hard on moving things that are past their prime ... or already sickly ..

the cost benefit ratio usually works against it ... especially if a replacement can be had for cheap ...

on the other hand ... if you are young and dont mind back breaking labor with low odds.. go for it ...

ken

• greyandamy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ken, it's big. I must avoid too much physical (BACK) work, cost benefit, you're correct. I know they grow so slowly when young (if I'd even want another)... but it is past its prime...I guess. Nothing lives forever...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

Eggs-actly ...

prioritize ... as to what is important ... and what is not ..

ken

• mainegrower
    13 years ago

I'm not at all sure what a deciduous Mountain Laurel is. The species generally referred to as Mt. Laurel is kalmia latifolia. This and other native kalmias are evergreen, not deciduous.

If the shrub in question really is a kalmia, it should be easy to move at just about any time of year. They have shallow fibrous root systems just like rhododendrons. There would be a bit of digging and prying invoved, but nothing compared to tap rooted plants or those with wide spreading root systems. Sliding it onto a tarp or sheet of plastic for transport to a new locations eliminates lifting it.

• greyandamy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mainegrower, hi! I can't say for sure that's what this is. When I bought this older house, this older plant was out front, beside another. The other I did ID as a big (thus old) Mountain Laurel. This "thing" I'm talking about is decidous, it blooms first (pink, fragrant) then when it stops, the plant beside it (Mt Laurel for sure)takes effect. Perhaps it's an azalea, who knows? It's something... in the family.

It's big, I understand it may have roots more shallow than other things. And maybe it can take some abuse, I've certainly done that. But my back isn't great (understatement) and it's on a slope. Then there's the issue of where would I put it, if it survives... but I'm just reluctant to not try b/c I know things like these grow slowly. It's balanced by is it worth the effort... I still have time to think before the ground becomes unfrozen. I don't even know when the wall will be done, waiting on that. (meaning it could bloom first, then I could cut way back)... I don't know... THANKS everyone!

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    13 years ago

Deciduous azaleas do not grow particularly slowly. And they can handle being cut back severely if necessary.

If that's what it is, of course.

• mainegrower
    13 years ago

If it is an azalea or deciduous rhododendron, moving it should be relatively easy. As long as the root system remains relatively intact, it won't take long to recover, either, assuming proper attention to watering. I'm totally sympathetic to back issues, but this is more about cutting around the roots and prying the mass loose, then sliding onto a tarp, etc. than doing any real lifting, if that makes a difference. Maybe the people doing the work on the wall would be willing to lend a hand.

If there really is no place for it, then the decision is simple. I don't really see any reason why it could not be temporarily moved until the work is done, then returned to somewhere near its original spot, though if that's a possibility.

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Posted by mainegrower Z5b ME (My Page) on Sat, Mar 5, 11 at 5:08

Yup, their wild habitats do not have extremely deep soil, for example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxGlJ7gU8wY