Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindy24_gw

Photinia "Red Tips"

cindy24
10 years ago

I have 3 red tips in my yard. Planted 2/2013. So it's now 1 yr old.

It seems ok. They look a bit scrawny! I want it to get taller.
I know it's winter but it's been looking like this since the Fall. What do I need to do to get this thing healthy?

Cut, fertilize, feed and watering tips please???

Thanks!!

Comments (6)

• cindy24
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is what it used to look like in May 2013.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Looks like they had a difficult summer. Were they watered enough? They may have been really root bound when you bought them.

Where do you live?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hi

extremely large transplants ... probably root bound in large pots ... or worse.. field dug ...

incredible transplant shock ...

and as noted above.. most likely.. insufficient water thru the whole root mass ... see link for watering instructions ..

kill the grass.. 2 to 3 feet out in front of the plants.. behind.. in between and the same on the ends ... and mulch properly.. see same link ...

watering is an art.. not a science.. insert finger.. and water when it is dry.. 2 to 3 inches into the soil ... not just a spray from a hose ... see link .... no one can really tell you.. how to water in your soil.. in your area.. in your yard ..

probably couldnt kill if you dragged them out of the yard with the truck..a round the block and replanted them... but then they would need a lot of water... lol ...

i would not do anything in the way of pruning for a year or two more ...

and no.. fertilizing will not help a watering problem ... and i NEVER fertilize my shrubs .. EVER ... they are not children.. they do not need to be fed.. unless a soil test shows something is severely lacking in your soil .. and let me tell you.. your glorious lawn suggests that nothing is lacking ... unless you are relying on your grass sprinklers to water deep planted shrubs ....

if you fert your lawn.. once established.. these plants will get whatever they need.. by stealing it from the grass ...

the only thing wrong with these plants.. is your perception.. that transplanting them.. would have no kickback effect ... it did.. they will get over it ....

and should you ever want to prune them.. in a few years... try to remember the term REJUVENATION PRUNING OF SHRUBS .... and google it.. no haircuts.. ever ...

i wish you luck

ken

ps: they are not one year old... they are more likely.. 3 to 7 years old.. but they have been in your garden for one year ... at the size transplanted.. i wouldnt even consider them fully established.. until the end of this season ... which means.. you are responsible for proper watering until at least then... thereafter.. once established.. most likely.. they will never need to be watered again .... except in the year following IF.. severe drought .... in drought.. it never hurts to turn the hose on a trickle.. and water it a foot or two deep ....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Be very careful of putting broadleaf weed killer on the lawn close to the Photinia.
    Water slow and deep until established. It's harder than most beginners think to get a fresh rootball out of a pot saturated.
    Mike

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I'm surprised that you were able to find any red tips. They are so prone to disease that they've pretty much been yanked from the market over the past many years.

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

They have been hit hard here in the Pacific Northwest too, rhizo. There is hardly a hedge left and they look bad. Rarely do I see a healthy Photinia anymore.
    Twenty or thirty years ago they were real popular, but I never did like them. The red new growth always looked 'cheap' to me. Plus they were a lot of work trimming them when used as a hedge.
    Cindy, I hope you live in a part of the country where they don't get diseased, wherever that is.
    Mike