Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arborvitae - Mr. Bowling Ball or Hetz Midget

Posted by labradoodlemom Connecticut (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 13:29

I'm wondering if anyone has planted either of these compact arborviaes (Mr. Bowling Ball or Hetz Midget)? I was hoping to plant a row of boxwoods along my brick front path, but after all the new disease issues, I'm searching for a new option. These two arborvitaes seem attractive but I wanted to see if anyone had any feedback/insight!

THANKS, in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arborvitae - Mr. Bowling Ball or Hetz Midget

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 14:04

The Lake County one is newer and less widely proven, in fact I haven't even seen it yet. So you might want to go with the 'Hetz Midget'.

o

I'm assuming you don't have deer....

they find arborvitae quite attractive.

o

LOL! We DEFINITELY have deer, but these will be going in a fenced-in cottage garden area. :-)

o

This is a pic of my 'Hetz Midget' at about 10-12 years old. It's about 3 1/2' x 3 1/2'

Photobucket

tj

o

I LOVE my Mr Bowling Ball, it looks similar to TJ's Hetz Midget but is perfectly round, only about 2' X 2' after 2-3 years. Maybe I started with a bigger plant? Looks like HM can take less sun, I need to get one so I can compare it. If HM is less vigorous than Mr Bowling Ball I can still use it.

I have Mr Bowling Ball planted with a red-twigged dogwood (Alleman's Compact)and a compact cranberrybush viburnum in one corner of my yard. I plan to put another evergreen with my Elegantissima dogwood and other compact cranberrybush viburnum kitty-corner to that. I have a long, rectangular yard, and am hoping to tie them together.

This combination makes a nice four-season grouping. If you have another viburnum to pollinate the cranberrybush, you'll get red berries beginning in summer on the viburnum, red twigs on the dogwood in winter, creamy-white spring flowers on both deciduous shrubs, and soft green foliage all year on the evergreen.

I have tall day lilies and bee balm too, for seasonal color in part-shade.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 15:11

Thuja occidentalis 'Bobazam' (Mr. Bowling ball) and 'Linesville' appear to be the same plant.

Eitherway I think MBB is much more interesting looking. Although TJ's specimen looks much more refined than the other HMs I've seen. Tough call if you are getting something similar to his plant.

o

One thing, Mr Bowling Ball doesn't mingle well. It will brown where other plants rub against it, and create a hole in the foliage. I STILL love mine, it is my all time favorite evergreen, sooo cute.

o

Here is a picture of Linesville.

Frank

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here