Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aralia spinosa and Tetradium danielli

Posted by ben773 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 13:32

I read conflicting report about the cold hardiness of Devil's Walking Stick and Bee Bee Tree in zone 5a. I like to hear about your personal experience (not info perpetuated in the web)growing these plants. I like to grow them as bee forage. Do they grow and FLOWER in zone 5a? I'm in northern Illinois. Any personal and/or local experience (northern Illinois, Wisconsin or Zone 5a resident)is appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aralia spinosa and Tetradium danielli

Check in with the Morton Arboretum. Their records show several plants of Aralia spinosa in their living collections.

Can't help you with Tetradium daniellii in your neighborhood - but I can vouch for old live plants that have tolerated/survived -20F temps here.

o
RE: Aralia spinosa and Tetradium danielli

My experience with Aralia spinosa is near the NH seacoast, which is a little bit warmer than you, right on the border of 5a and 5b. However, I did want to warn you that this plant does self-seed a fair amount, from dropped fruit and birds who have eaten the fruit. Because of its thorniness, removing volunteers can be an uncomfortable process. You might want to research an alternative bee forage plant that doesn't have this problematic aspect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here