12 years ago

{{gwi:241903}}

Comments (22)

• strobiculate
    12 years ago

Euonymus fortunei

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

If you are in the United States, it is not "native" (not sure if that is what you meant by "urban native").

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

very prone to scale .. which is near impossible to cure ...

and EXTREMELY overplanted in much of suburbia ... i would think of it more of an invasive [man created invasive] .. than i would ever consider it a native ... crimminey ...

i have encouraged many a peep here.. to kill them.. with malice ... to save the rest of us ... from this unreasonable plague ...

and for a nickle.. i will tell you how i really feel about it .. lol ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Ditto above (except I'd charge a dime instead of the nickle).

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

The habit makes me think this must be E. japonicus.

• linaria_gw
    12 years ago

I would second that it looks far too tall for a E. fortunei. That one is a creeper, sometimes climbing up on other plats/walls, but the tall shoots on top look untypical.
    Bye, Lin

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    12 years ago

It's E. japonicas.
    There are some really nice E. fortuneii varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Form and Foliage

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Linked to page has one or two plant name spelling mistakes you might want to correct - note also it's Euonymus japonicus - and the false cypress being sent to garden centers by Monrovia as 'Golden King' appears to actually be 'Golden Showers', an Oregon introduction dating from the 1970s. The true 'Golden King' appeared in Europe during the 1950s and is hard to grow. The plants on your page look like 'Golden Showers'.

In addition, Cupressus macrocarpa Saligna Aurea' is correctly 'Conybearii Aurea'. And Thuja plicata 'Sunshine' was on the market in Oregon by 1986, how new it is depends on what one considers new in this context.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    12 years ago

Yeah that was a typo on that japonicas! That 'Golden King' vs 'Golden Showers' issue has been going around for a while and I can't get verification on it. I bought it as 'Golden King', that nursery insists its 'Golden King' and since I can't confirm either way I"m leaving it as GK at least for now, although the fact that you see that from a photo does certainly get my attention! And with all of the dna info and the reclassifications I'm losing my mind. That Citriodora, too, is changing genus and the Chondropetalum are all becoming Elegia and the list goes on and on. I want to label some but I think I'm gonna wait...

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    12 years ago

Oh and bboy I meant to add that my use of 'new' in the caption on the T. plicate 'Sunshine' was a tongue in cheek reference to vs using solar panels. The way that you read it made me realize it was silly and I changed it. I caught the wallichiana misspelling, too, thx for reading so carefully!

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

>that nursery insists its 'Golden King'Probably merely because they got it with that name, and have no particular background in the subject from which to argue with authority. This is usual: "Joe Dokes sold it to me as that, so that's what it is".

The apparent error was pointed out by A.L. Jacobson in North American Landscape Trees (1996, Ten Speed Press, Berkeley). European sources show photos of the true 'Golden King', from which it can be seen how it differs - it is basically 'Triumph von Boskoop' with some yellow on it. Note that one or two places there seem to be showing instead the one we have here, perhaps this is examples of 'Golden Showers' that were sent or taken back there as 'Golden King'.

>That Citriodora, too, is changing genusSo you were talking about Cupressus, and not 'Citriodora'.

I have chosen here to broadly define Cupressus, and to reduce Hesperocyparis, Callitropsis and Xanthocyparis to synonymy, for several reasons. First, you cannot tell Hesperocyparis from the old world Cupressus merely by looking at them; the distinction is only clear with reference to molecular data. Such an arcane standard has not been used to define any conifer genus before now and this seems to me to be a bad time to start. The New World species of Cupressus are of great social and economic importance; they have been used horticulturally for almost 400 years (C. lusitanica, brought to Portugal in 1634) and have been described as species of Cupressus for more than 200 years. It would cause considerable upheaval (and annoyance) in the horticultural community if these species were reassigned to Hesperocyparis. As a secondary matter, it is not strictly necessary to subdivide Cupressus even if it is shown to be paraphyletic; there is as yet no rule in botanical nomenclature prohibiting paraphyletic genera, and as a practical matter, there is little risk that anyone interested in the evolution of Cupressus will remain ignorant of the fundamental division between Old and New World species

Here is a link that might be useful: The Gymnosperm Database - Cupressus

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    12 years ago

Yeah I think you're right about the GK vs GS insistence. I am going to go with GS at this point, thanks very much for the reference.
    And I was talking about both of the plants that I had identified as being C. macrocarpa - as I understand it both are changing genus. My head is spinning with all of the changes. Thanks for that reference, too. We should have started a new thread on this, huh?
    Great info, I really appreciate it.

• georgeiii
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow guy's thanks. I'm trying to prove a point about Sustainable Hydroponics so I'm looking for any kind of plants, cuttings or seeds I can find. This one was just in an empty yard.

• botann
    12 years ago

Here's my 'Golden Showers'

{{gwi:241905}}
    Mike

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

I have seen a few other examples of this form become less yellow with age also. This is a recurring problem with yellow conifers, cultivars and clones that remain well colored appear to be the exception rather than the rule.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    12 years ago

Well, that 'Golden Showers' is a lot less yellow than what I have but it is still beautiful! Do you see any seasonal difference, i.e. is it yellower in winter than summer?

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Yours are smaller, they may become like his or they may hold their color better than his when the same size. The difference in coloring between his and yours doesn't mean anything as far as true-to-nameness is concerned. Both plantings show the characteristic foliage spray structure and growth habit.

A similar older introduction seen in this area is 'Westermannii'. Like the biggest (but still comparatively young) 'Golden Showers' I am still able to identify aging of some of these specimens is producing a different appearance, they may some day become unrecognizable. A substantial number of yellow forms of Lawson cypress has been selected and circulated over the years, along with blue forms, rich or deep green forms, upright forms and so on. Many of these are now seen primarily or even exclusively as older trees that do not look exactly like they did when they were bought and planted, their cultivar names now very difficult or impossible to discover.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Another thing these do is concentrate the yellow on the south side of the tree, how yellow one appears depends on which direction you are looking from. The old, strongly yellow 'Stewartii' has been called Sunshine Tree because of this phenomenon.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    12 years ago

If you were to propagate off an older, plain tree would the cuttings eventually return to the original color traits?

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

I've rooting cuttings from an older, mostly greenish gold plume Sawara cypress and had them immediately return to solid yellow the first time they made new top growth. I think this kind of behavior is why so many conifer cultivars that do not maintain the desired appearance into maturity are still able to be grown and sold in quantity - in nursery sizes they still look like they are supposed to, even when grown from source plants that no longer fit the bill.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    12 years ago

thanks, that's interesting. I would have thought once it was in mature form it would stay that way. Almost like a cutting off a mature ivy.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Ivy is a plant that has two distinct life stages, with the first stage being sterile (flowerless). It's more dramatic than a conifer becoming less dwarf or less yellow with age.

Although it is true that Lawson cypress has a sterile foliage stage, during which it is usually the size purchased, and a fertile (cone-producing) phase that sets in later, and includes a different kind of foliage spray being produced. A common form that shows this real well is 'Alumii'. I don't know how position on the Lawson cypress plant of propagation material, as in whether sterile or fertile foliage is used, affects the outcome.