Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old Boxwoods

Posted by rosebush z7 NC (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 06 at 14:08

Can anyone tell me if old, large boxwoods can be safely transplanted? I'm talking 40 years old and beautifully round. Need to do a controlled burn of an old structure, but the boxwoods are pretty close . .thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old Boxwoods

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 9, 06 at 14:24

If some can get established camellias to move (I've never had any success with this) then the much more dense and fibrous roots of box surely make this possible. Probably quite large specimens of this old favorite have been moved many times. You will have to be able to trench around them, lift and transport to new location--before new spring growth (shoots) appear.

o

i never had problems to transplant boxwood , even 20 year old plants.
even when they only have a few roots , they will re-grow very easy.
when they don't have enough roots , i plant them in a protected site , in shade , for 1 year.
1 of my neighbours transplanted a 100 year old boxwood , succesfully.
make sure that you give it enough humus, water when it's dry in summer.
boxwoods grow best in full sun , for several reasons .
(habit and diseases).
the dwarf forms and some of the species are better in partial to full shade.
B-boy : the boxwood encyclopedia is the best book of what you can find for the genus buxus.
the autor is writing a new book only about the boxwood species.he's the curator of the collection in west virginia .

o

Thank you for the info!

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 10, 06 at 0:56

Here common box (Buxus sempervirens) has better habit and foliage color with some shade. Asiatic boxes like hotter conditions, probably like it best on south facing walls.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here