Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Shrub Recommendation

Posted by EBorchers 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 14:34

I would appreciate recommendations for a slender evergreen shrub for the front of our home (one on each side of front entrance - next to the house and behind other shrubs, max height 6-8 ft). I think the arborvitae that we lost this past summer (admittedly a very hot summer) could not tolerate the heat reflected from our (brick) home, as the sides of the arborvitae facing the house burned and died.

Thank you,
Ellen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Shrub Recommendation

Ilex 'Sky Pencil' is slender...you'd have to check heat tolerance.

o

arbs are one of the toughest plants there is..

if your presumption is correct.. why would anything else thrive there..

NOTHING stops at some magical height.. if you want 6 to 8 feet.. to stay UNDER an eave... your siting is wrong..

i would think about some decorative pots.. and annuals ... it doesnt sound like a tree/shrub area...

pictures???

ken

o

What about a conical holly? There is quite a few upright slender hollies to choose from.

o

Yes, Ilex 'Sky Pencil' is a very slender, upright holly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here