Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadian123

Tall narrow evergreen next to pool?

canadian123
10 years ago

The distance bewteen the pool and wood fence is 5'. Is there any kind of evergreen that grows taller than the fence, that is also narrow?
The roots going into the liner at underside of the pool is a concern also.
I don't neccessarily have to be able to walk on that side of the pool. I might get rid of riverrocks and fill that whole side with plants.
Any suggestions?

Comments (10)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    10 years ago

If you can find Juniperus virginianus 'Taylor' (Klehm's and Sooner Plant farm have it in the US) it would work. Quite tall-20+ feet and no wider than 3 ft. max.

Another option would be making the fence taller with a trellis and planting vines.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey junkie ... spotted cow disease???? .. lol

it DeGroots spire ... lol ...

ken

ps: that pool has a liner.. and no hard sides??? .. trees/conifers.. do NOT break into things... they take advantage of pre-existing problems... they do not carry little stilettos in their roots systems.. to shank in a portal to get inside of things.. like pools.. or basements.. water/septic lines, etc ... that would not be a concern of mine .... presuming the pool is in tip top shape ....

• canadian123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks both of those look like what i'm looking for. They don't make a mess do they?
    Do these need to be pruned, or will they naturally stay narrow?

You're seeing the winter cover in the pics, but it is a liner pool. Steel walls, but the underside is just sand. Should I be concerned about the roots getting to underside of pool? It's about 4' deep.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i can only repeat what i said.... roots will not cause a puncture... they only take advantage of a pre-existing hole ..

but... more importantly ... most trees roots are in the first foot or two of soil ... they really dont.. for the most part .. go 4 feet deep..

especially arbs... of which.. very much surface type ...

in terms of pool side... i would suggest.. all plants make a mess .. unless plastic ... so its a real catch 22 in that regard ... the arbs will shed interior needles.. every few years.. but mostly.. just falling inside the plant ... same with the juniper ...

have you considered using large pots ... instead of mother earth.. around your rock zone ... the only thing worse than hauling rock in.. is hauling it out ... lol .. i suggest you try to love it.. or move.. lol ...

i would definitely look into planting some of the same out back.. behind the monkey house .... to block that neighbors view ... a little more privacy .... the house next to you.. in the first pic.. seems single story.. if so.. why are you fixated on tall trees in that direction???? .. and do make sure.. out back.. that there are no buried utilities ... hitting an hydro line.. really puts a damper on an otherwise good day .....

i would also add some clematis and or morning glory to the black security fence ...

i wonder if there is a pool forum.. where pool peeps might have better pool suggestions ... rather than plant peeps ... eh??

i wish you luck ....

ken

• canadian123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm ok with a little mess, like what cedars drop since it's not much. Just didn't want anything that drops buds or leaves or anything.

I'll leave some of the rocks but on the left hand side I'd like to put deck or walkway, the rocks are too much of a pain to walk on. There will be a pool shed where the gate ends so that will give some privacy from back neighbour. We just moved in and had the pool put in so moving isn't an option lol.

You can't tell from the pictures, but on the side where the single storey is - there is the main street of subdivision past the house. When you're in the pool and yard that side can't see in, but it's when we're on our (future) deck.

I have considered large pots, but thought the roots would get too large. Is this an option with the types suggested? I would prefer that option!! I could really use any kind of cedar if in a pot, but I didn't think leaving them in a pot was a permanent solution..

I posted in the pool forum too, but figured you folks would know best about the roots etc.
    Thanks for you help eh?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Yes, 'DeGroots Spire'. You would think that having three of them I'd catch my typo.

I'd stay with the Thujas and avoid the Junipers because Junipers tend to bite, especially folks wearing bathing suits. Thujas are a bit more forgiving if you back into them or brush by them.

tj

• viburnumvalley
    10 years ago

I'd punt the idea of conifers, entirely - given when you will be using the pool. Year round greenery isn't necessary. You want your privacy primarily when you are using the pool, which is a warm weather endeavor.

I'd use a plant that provides immense reward for a much lower investment, and will provide you all the screening you want the first year! If you can afford 6-8' tall DeGroot's Spire Arborvitae or Taylor Juniper, then you wouldn't be seeking advice here anyway.

Consider Miscanthus giganteus to solve your privacy problem. This plant puts up tall foliage every year, and taller seed stems. It sounds like splashing water when the wind blows through its leaves. It is a clumping grass, so it just fills in better with time. It will be quite economical to acquire, versus a lot of conifers, to provide a solid screen.

Once a year rejuvenation (removing last years stems in spring) is the only maintenance required - and there is NOTHING that will be a problem falling into your pool (or root system-wise) during your pool use period.

Here's what this plant looks like here at the Valley. That's ten feet from ground level to the top of railing.

• canadian123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pool itself is private enough, it's more for a sense of privacy when on our deck and looking in our kitchen (ie year round). It's also pretty bare in winter, so would be nice to have some green year round.

But budget is a major concern, so I'll keep the grasses in mind.

I really have no idea how much any of these cost (or if they're available in my area). I'm just going to write down everything suggested and price it out when the nursery opens.

• cchandrasena
    2 years ago

What did you end up doing as I have the same questions as you. I am in Ottawa.