Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snowball Vibernum Q

Posted by paigeag 5B (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 15:27

Are these leaf buds, flower buds, or is it too early to tell? Thanks! I know I spelled Viburnum wrong, anyway to edit the subject? I feel like a dork.

IMG_9639

This post was edited by paigeag on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 15:28

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snowball Viburnum Q

Here's a page with great photos of a variety of Viburnum leaf and flower buds that should help you out.

I don't think that there's a way to edit the original subject line, though it can be edited in responses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Viburnum leaf and flower buds

o
RE: Snowball Viburnum

Thanks! My particular variety is viburnum opulus roseum. Looks like they are flower buds.

o
RE: Snowball Vibernum Q

What you are seeing - the paired buds appearing along the stems - are leaf buds. Viburnum flowers are produced in terminal cymes, so at the end of stems/branches only.

o

Now I'm confused. The link above shows that the Viburnum opulus flower buds aren't necessarily at the ends. Guess I'll have to wait and see!

o

paigeag - the Viburnum opulus pictures at the link show pairs of buds in the leaf axils but there is no statement that they are flower buds. They are leaf buds. Some of the buds in the photos are flowers buds (the terminal ones) and some are leaf buds (the axillary ones). Although the pictures are good the source is not very helpful in not making this distinction clear.

o
RE: Snowball Viburnum Q

Thanks! Looks like most of the tips got nibbled by deer. Hopefully I get a few blooms at least. I do seem small buds on the ends of a couple branches.

o

Those are lead buds. My baby viburnum already has leaves with just a few buds left. However, I think the frost has gotten to it. It looks like it is starting to wilt & I know it's not from lack of water.

o

I hate to stick my neck out, but I think the two slightly rounded ones near the top could very well be flower buds, and you probably have a few more here and there. I guess you'll know for sure in a couple weeks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here