Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Symphoricarpos or 'Coralberry'

Posted by teresa_b z6 MO (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 28, 09 at 15:28

I have two coralberries planted in my cutting garden for using the berried branches in the Autumn. Instructions say to prune in late fall or early Spring. Does anyone know how much to prune? One source said it can be trimmed to practically nothing!

On another note, these were planted a year ago so are not fully mature.

Thanks,

Teresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Symphoricarpos or 'Coralberry'

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 28, 09 at 15:50

If new and dinky no need to prune is likely. Pruning doesn't help plants grow, it's done to get a particular result that is desired by the gardener.

There are multiple pruning books on the market where you can look this genus up for specific pointers. Searching the internet for "symphoricarpos pruning" and the like is bound to turn them up as well.

If you've looked at a few discussions that left you wondering, maybe look at some more hits or seek out some books instead. Probably most public libraries have at least a few pruning titles.

o

Thank you bboy. It was one of those moments of why didn't I think of that? So, I pulled my "Woody Cut Stems for Growers and Florists" off the shelf and coralberry pruning is addressed. Coralberry blooms (and subsequently fruits) on new wood so plant can be cut to the ground in early spring with some growers cutting to ten inches.

I'm off outside with my pruners!

Teresa

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 1, 09 at 13:17

Again, I wouldn't whack down small specimens as that will slow their establishment and development. Unless you are cutting them for arrangements there shouldn't be much pruning at all until and unless you think they are due for a renovation. With specimens planted as border subjects this would occur periodically, with long intervals of many years between.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here