Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sergeantcuff

Adding narrow evergreens to shrub border

sergeantcuff
12 years ago

I have a long, narrow back yard. Along the property line I share with a weedy vacant lot, large weed trees compete with flowering deciduous shrubs planted long ago. I've added some acuba as they do so well under trees. The area does get afternoon sun and the soil is good, so I am able to grow lots of things near these trees. I've had a few dying trees removed.

Now I want to add a bit of screening here and there. This photo shows 2 areas I want to fill - to the left and right of the large deciduous shrub (some sort of chaenomeles) sorta in the middle of the picture.

{{gwi:242505}}

On the left: I'd like to fill an area about 5 feet deep by 10 feet long, at least 6 feet tall. I was thinking of using DeGroots Spire arbovitae as it has been recommended many times to posters looking for narrow growers. Would three - staggered do the job? Are there any better, faster-growing ideas?

On the right - I will remove the weedy shrub that's actually not on my property (the thing that's directly in line with the giant yew next door). Would you use the same type of shrub here? It may be difficult to dig here as the tree was taken down quite recently. Or I could just out up a large trellis.

A few extra pictures:

{{gwi:242506}}

{{gwi:242507}}

Usually you guys want more information, but I afraid I have gone overboard.

Thanks for reading

Maureen

Comments (2)