Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can I get more berries on my yellow twig dogwood bush?

Posted by olreader 5b CO (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 16:43

I think this is a yellow twig dogwood bush. It gives a fair amount of white flowers but not so many white berries. The,berries are prettier than the flowers, can I do something to get more?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can I get more berries on my yellow twig dogwood bush?

it looks like you give yours haircuts ..

when do you do that.. ???

somewhere between flowering in spring.. and berries in fall ...

look at the pics at the link ... you can tell.. which have been properly pruned... and which have been given haircuts..

google: rejuvenation pruning of flowering shrubs ...

and you should be all set ..

and no.. fertilizer is not the answer ... and if you have been giving it haircuts.. because it is growing aggressively.. that is a good sign it doesnt need fert...

and in my world.. it will NEVER need fert ..

i will step off my fert soapbox now.. and wish you luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: EDIT: God i hate when i forget the link

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 17:50

o

I usually prune it around this time of year by cutting some of the old branches off at the base, I think that has helped with the color of the branches. I don't cut it off at the top. I don't fertilize it but it probably gets some from the lawn fertilizer.

There doesn't seem to be a really distinct flowering/fruiting season, it continues for a while. I'm satisfied with the amount of flowers but would like more fruit. Maybe the birds get the berries before I notice them?

o

If you get good flowers but not much fruit then pollination may be your issue.

o

It's a bit out of the ordinary to grow a yellow twig dogwood for its berries. It is the winter stem colour most people are looking for and to get the best colour the stems need to be rejuvenated regularly, i.e. cut off at the base, as it is the young growth which is brightest. If you want berries maybe growing a different plant would be your best bet. There are several Sorbus with white berries.

o

Here are the berries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here