Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coatfetish2

Looking for shrub suggestions...

coatfetish2
12 years ago

Hi,

I'm hoping I'll get lots of input on this! I have a spot where I wanted to put a small tree, but I don't think it will work - the span is so small. The spot faces east & slightly south, and I can have an unpruned span as wide as 12", but I'm really looking for a small tree or large shrub that takes pruning well. My windows on that side are 6' off the ground, and I'd like for the plant to be tall enough to obscure the neighbor's view into the windows (I live in a mobile home park). The park owner is fanatical about neatness, so this can't be a straggly or spindly plant, as it will be seen from the main road.

I already have two Profusion crapples and a large (12' tall) viburnum on the opposite side of my home. Lilacs in the back, various spireas and hydrangeas in spots, and a forsythia I need to plant somewhere (not where it can be seen from the front road). Amending the soil to suit any plant isn't a problem, but water could be. A plant that's drought tolerant when established is a plus. Multi-season interest would be a huge plus. I've considered kousa dogwood, but it may be too big. I'm also considering pussy willow - my late mother's favorite, but I have read they are water hogs. If I could find a pink lilac I'd consider that, too, but they can look ratty at the end of the season.

I'd love to get some help here, hopefully people will toss in some suggestions! Please, no azaleas or rhododendrons...

I live in z6, at 2500 ft elevation in the Virginia Appalachians.

Thanks!

Comments (2)