Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bottle brush pruning after frost damage???

Posted by lostyooper 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 10, 11 at 18:33

We just had a cold snap of 4 degrees in SE AZ. Normally I have had a bit of damage on a large bottle brush in my yard but this time the entire plant took a real beating.This is 10 degrees cooler than I have ever seen. All of the leaves are now more brownish than green. I am temped to prune it to the ground but I don't whether you can do this to bottle brush without killing it. Anyone know?? Thanks

I was at home depot picking up some hardware and they lost almost all their nursery stock. Huge Indian Figs died all over town.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bottle brush pruning after frost damage???

many plants have dormant buds.. which can help recover the plant ... even though you might lose bloom for the year ...

if you cut everything off too soon.. you will never know if those buds are still viable ...

my vote is to give it a month or two.. and see how it reacts ...

i have had plants lose every leaf on them due to the following:

winter damage
late frost
late freeze
hailstorms
thunderstorms
rabbits
burn pile errors ... lol.. not really ...

etc ...

give them some time.. to see how the plant reacts.. and THEN YOU REACT ....

or.. if you have more than one.. do one now.. and the other later.. and report back as to which option worked better ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here