Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Myrica pensylvanica (Bayberry)

Does anyone know how long these take to become established? I planted two over a year ago in a spot that should be fine for them according to my reading. Neither one seems to have grown at all, so I am hoping that they are busy growing lots and lots of strong roots. They are about 18 inches to two feet tall which is about what they were when I planted them and they haven't gotten any bushier. They get partial sun morning and afternoon and are in a spot that does not tend to dry out. I read they are fine in wet spots which makes this placement perfect. Maybe I just don't understand what "moderate growth" means. :)

Also, I will admit that I am a little bored and searching for something to amuse me! I do not find these little shrubs amusing.

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

Also, I will admit that I am a little bored and searching for something to amuse me! I do not find these little shrubs amusing.

==>> the definition of a gardener in winter.. lol ...

lack of vigor.. is usually due to lack of enough light ..

shade is very hard to define in words .. or pix .. lol ...

yours should have had more than enough time to get 'established' ...

you have two choices..

enjoy there current growth rate .. which apparently is not amusing ...

or move them to more sun.. and see if you can increase vigor ...

since you have more than one.. i would move one.. and see what happens ... worst you can do is kill it.. which would at least be somewhat amusing.. rather than growing a hate on them.. lol ... and just killing them outright for letting you down ... [really now.. they do have a job out there.. and when they fail at such.. time to die!!!!]

thx for the chuckle ...

ken

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As always, Ken, you are both right AND amusing. Come spring, I will relocate one of these slackers and see what happens.

[really now.. they do have a job out there.. and when they fail at such.. time to die!!!!]. Yep, that is my philosophy as well! Off to look out windows to decide on new spot...how thoroughly amusing! ;)

Cynthia

• viburnumvalley
    11 years ago

Cynthia:

What kind of condition were these plants in when you planted them? Bare root? Container? B&B?

The differences could account for the "laziness" of establishment and growth. Tell us that much, at least.

Some images of their current situation is always interesting too - winter or not.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi viburnumvalley. These were container plants. I will take a picture when I get home from school tomorrow and post it, even though it will be completely embarrassing to show these.

Thanks for the responses you two!

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

From what I've seen, Bayberry is another one of those can't-fail, tough as nails shrubs. You could probably yank it out and replant it elsewhere, and it would do just fine. (don't do that, though!) Bayberry grows best in full sun, in moist soil - Bogs and swamps are where it grows naturally.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Jimbob. I have the moist soil, but not the full sun, so I will think about moving one come spring just to see if that makes a big difference. Didn't get home from school in time to take a picture- had to pick up bird seed! I will try tomorrow.

Thanks again all.
    Cynthia

• viburnumvalley
    11 years ago

Oftentimes, container grown plants can have spent too much time in the container prior to your acquisition. If so, there might be a huge density of circling roots which are not exploiting their new location in your garden.

If you did not investigate this when you planted these plants, then there's no time like the present to find out if this could be the case.