Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indian Hawthorn

Posted by c2399 7a-b (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 29, 12 at 19:23

Hi all.

I got 2 White Indian Hawthorns last fall (Rhaphiolepis indica 'Alba').

They have some spots/leaf discoloration, one being worse than the other. I did some research and learned that indian hawthorns can be prone to leaf spotting/fungus.

I won't be spraying any chemicals to help keep this at bay or put a stop to it and live in a VERY humid area. Should I just toss these 2 out and start fresh with something else? I'm thinking that is the way to go, but I have a hard time discarding of plants and need a push.

Anyone have any experience with this? Can these plants "grow out of" this/get over it on their own, or am I out of luck. I also am a bit afraid of it spreading to other types of shrubs.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indian Hawthorn

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 29, 12 at 21:24

Pretty much ubiquitous on them in my area. EXCEPT - R. umbellata is not so prone. If you like the look of the plant, try that one instead.

You do want a warm, sheltered spot for these, with good drainage. Not a plant for tough conditions.

o

My experience with that particular cultivar is that it is a sturdy little, full sun loving, parking lot shrub. Meaning that it's tough. This was in hot, humid coastal SC...zone 8b.

The disease problems always cropped up when there simply was not enough sunlight, not something that was likely to happen in the sunny south unless you planted under in partial or filtered shade conditions.

I've not had any experience with this plant out of that zone, however.

o

Thanks for the info! Not to officially decide what to do with my current ones.

o

Since you don't plan on doing anything to stop the progress of disease in your plants, then I think that you should rip 'em out and replace with something that will thrive in that specific location.

I really don't think that humid conditions are a problem for this plant, per se. But if you live in area that sees a lot of cloud cover OR if they are not located in the full sun, leaf spot diseases are likely. Overhead irrigation can be a factor, too.

I think of Rapheolepis as being practically problem free....as long as it's planted in the right place, lol. Then all bets are off.

o

Concur on R. umbellata 'Minor' - I use them throughout the garden as foils for other plants as they are nicely green, good shape, etc. with nice new foliage (though I think that they get bigger than I was led to believe). Not sure they'd make it in zone 7 - I think winter hardy only to about 10-15 degrees. Every R. indica that I have ever seen here is in a commercial planting, covered with leaf spot...

o

Thanks for the additional info--very helpful! I live in a very sunny area, but my yard doesn't have many places that are "full" sun. They will get sun, but not all day long.

o

If you are not going to use a fungicide maybe before you rip it out you might want to try a spray of milk with water added.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here