Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White fungus or mold growing on variegated ligustrum

Posted by dmaxt03 z8 SC (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 18, 07 at 20:25

There appears to be a white fungus or mold growning on the trunk and stems of several VARIEGATED CHINESE PRIVET ligustrum planted in the spring of 2005. The affected shrubs are also smaller than the shubs without it. The white stuff has also appeared on the outside brick and appears to be spreading. Any clue what it is? Any help on how to get rid of it without harming the shrubs? See 5 pictures below.

1.WHITE FUNGUS OR MOLD?
IMG_3417

2. ANOTHER VIEW
IMG_3418

3. COMPARISON - WHITE STUFF ON THE TWO ON THE RIGHT
IMG_3419

4. NO WHITE STUFF ON THESE
IMG_3420

5. ON OUTSIDE BRICK
IMG_3422

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White fungus or mold growing on variegated ligustrum

I suggest that the white on the plants is a scale insect and the problem with the bricks in entirely different.

You DO know, don't you, that your Ligustrum is supposed to be entirely and fully evergreen?

o

Good suggestion. I thought for sure the white stuff was the same on the shrubs and brick. I tried Daconil initially a couple of months ago when I thought it was a fungus. It did not cover the areas very well (and apparantly did'nt work). Any suggestions on how to treat for the scale insect? Will it harm the shrubs if not addressed? Also, any ideas for the brick?

As far as the Ligustrum, I hope it will green-up in the spring. I will do some pruning in the next few weeks. See below from the Clemson Extension.

VARIEGATED CHINESE PRIVET (Ligustrum sinense Variegata)
Mature Height/Spread: This semi-evergreen shrub grows quickly to 4 to 6 feet with an equal spread. It has gray-green leaves with white margins, which makes it a popular shrub for brightening dull areas of the garden. This shrub may revert to the species, which has dull, grayish leaves. These odd branches need to be pruned out.

o

Ligustrum sinense is one of the most invasive plants in the southeast. More a problem with the species plants than the variegated ones, however, these can still set seed or pollinate others and therefore propagate themselves.

If you end up having to get rid of these, do consider something else as a replacement.

As for how to treat scale, just search for "treat scale on plants" in any good search engine. You'll find lots of info.

o

In your location, that plant should be totally evergreen. I suspect that the stress from the scale infestation is affecting it. Scale insects, when left totally unmanaged, can kill plants. Especially if the plants begin a downward spiral.

I have no idea what the stuff is on the brick. Look sort of like a mortar issue, but I just can't tell from the photograph you've included.

esh, you make a very good point regarding this plant. I shudder when I see it literally taking over woodland areas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here