Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Help! Killer Nandina

Posted by aprillace 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 18, 10 at 0:58

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum to post to but....

We just moved into our first home and the yard has been neglected for the past few years as the previous owner was very elderly and unable to do the hard work anymore. The yard has about 20 nandinas that were purposely planted and dozens more that have popped up in random places in the yard. I previously had no problems with this plant but have come to hate it as it is way to invasive.

My question is how do I kill it or get rid of it? We have tried digging it up but the roots are expansive, tough, and a general PITA. If I keep it cut down below the surface will this eventually kill it from lack of sunlight or will this just strengthen the root system because it is not putting energy into plant production?

Please help because I am about ready to set the yard on fire. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Help! Killer Nandina

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 18, 10 at 1:16

Tops feed roots and roots feed tops. Cut off one and keep cutting it off and the other will eventually peter out.

Cutting off one part of the plant will not strengthen the other, quite the opposite in fact. Plants are organisms, like us, with integrated systems. Amputation does not enhance functioning of the remainder.

An exception is removal of immature fruits to save the plant the energy it would otherwise extend producing them.

o

It's a pity to hate such a beautiful garden plant.

o

Thanks bboy.

Jay,

I actually think it is a nice looking plant and like I mentioned before, I previously had no aversion to it. I think you can grow to hate any plant when you don't want dozens of them popping up throughout the grass in your yard and they are really difficult to get rid of.

o

i put generic roundup in an old mustard bottle ... 100% concentrate [which is actually 40%] .... for control purposes

between the bark.. and the interior wood is the green cambian layer ...

cut down plant.. apply roundup to the cambian .. its useless on the interior wood ...

and keep at it for up to a year or two... never let sprouts get too big ...

the root system.. will eventually spend all the stored energy.. and eventually die ..

and have no guilt.. you will replace the loss to mother earth with something better ...

good luck

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here