Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zooba72

Holly as a Hedge?

zooba72
12 years ago

Hi - I'm in the process of planting a perimeter hedge around my property. I'm trying to use several different varieties of shrubs. In one area I'm considering using Holly. I'm hoping someone can provide their recommendation on which variety provides the best privacy hedge. I would prefer a variety that grows high and wide and can be trimmed into a tight hedge. My firth thought was Nellie R. Stevens Holly ... Any thoughts?

I'm in zone 7 and I would consider the area to be partial sun. Also, when is the best time to plant?

Thanks in advance

Comments (11)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Nellie tends to have larger leaves and a much coarser texture than most hollies, and that can make it a challenge to keep sheared and look attractive. Burford holly (Ilex cornuta "Burfordii") might be one for you to look into. You would have the extra advantage of abundant berry set without the need for a male pollinizer.

We can make generalizations about the best time to plant in zone 7, but that really doesn't narrow it down very much for us. If you live in the upper or middle South, for example, I always think that fall is the best season for planting, but early spring is fine, too.

You don't want to plant your plants at the onset of very hot temperatures, if at all possible. It can make it more challenging for the plant. Of course, do as I say and not as I do because I have directed the installation of thousands of landscapes all year round...in the deep south. Successfully.

• User
    12 years ago

I agree with Rhizo, N. Stevens is probably too large for you needs---I prefer NS's as solitary specimen trees. I do use holly as hedges--Blue Princess and Prince. Another one of my favorites is Japanese Holly (Illex crenata). It looks just like Boxwood, is very heat and humidity tolerant, and takes kindly to regular trimming--also very cold hardy.

• zooba72
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I appreciate the responses. To clarify, I'm located on Long Island, in NY. I would prefer any variety that can form a solid wall over time and reach a height of at least 8FT. Faster growth would be more desirable.

I've read contradicting information regarding the mature height and growth rate of Ilex Crenata, perhaps this variation is regional? Does anyone have any comments on the rate of growth, and its ability to cope with different sun conditions?

Both Ilex Crenata Chesepeake & ScHwoebel are available. Other have recommended Dragon Lady Hollies? Any comments on this variety? Sorry about all of the questions. Thanks again.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

You'll probably be waiting decades for 8 ft. Japanese holly.

• zooba72
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I need to resurrect this thread ... I originally thought Nellie Stevens Holly would be perfect for my needs, but I've to come realize over the past few months that I have a severe deer problem and Nellie is apparently on the menu.

Can anyone provide their thoughts on Ilex opaca as a hedge? I realize it's more like a tree and grows very large, but can it be trimmed into a hedge? I need an deer resistant evergreen hedge to provide a privacy screen for a pool. This is a perimeter hedge in zone 7, long island. I currently have a deer problem, but will be working to fence them out.

All thoughts and suggestions appreciated. Thank you

• zooba72
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the informative response. I wasn't aware that there were different varieties of Ilex opaca and will do some additional research. I did consider Ilex Crenata but this variety is often damaged by deer. Since this particular hedge will be on my property perimeter, I'm trying to focus on shrubs that have been identified as deer resistant (if that's possible). Ilex opaca is supposed to be ... Other varieties include: Ilex x 'John T. Morris' and Ilex x 'Lydia Morris'. However, I've been having difficulty finding any information on these varieties. Thank you again!

• viburnumvalley
    11 years ago

Yes - there are hundreds of named varieties of Ilex opaca, though most are selected for fruiting or foliage characteristics.

You might find good additional information and advice by offering your question to the Holly Society of America website (I'm a current trustee) where many long time holly growers can provide further recommendations.

http://www.hollysocam.org/

You will likely find good information about many choices in the genus Ilex...

• Natasha Selhi
    10 years ago

zooba72 how did you do with this? i too am on Long Island and looking for a privacy hedge that will give my home some privacy some time before my time on this earth expires. looking at Holly too and if good, where did you purchase? Upkeep?

• edbarnes
    10 years ago

Whoops

This post was edited by edbarnes on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 20:59

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

I think Ilex 'Needlepoint' might be a good variety in your case, but I don't know what the deer think of it.