Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Don's Dwarf' Wax Myrtle

Posted by sam_md z7 MD (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 7:44

For me, buying plants is like "hauling coal to Newcastle" :)
However I am vulnerable to the same whims that everyone else is subject to.
Wax Myrtle is native to my state along the southern coastal plain. It can grow to be a smallish, evergreen tree.
I read about, and saw images of 'Don's Dwarf'. I received a dozen one quart liners yesterday. I must say, not what I was expecting. I was expecting something tight and compact, not loose and straggly.
Do you have any experience with 'Don's Dwarf' Do you think that's what I have?
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Don's Dwarf' Wax Myrtle

Hi Sam,
No experience with Don's Dwarf. I grow the regular wax myrtle.

Many plants look gangly in their 'adolescence'. I think one reason why Koehne hollies, for example, are not more popular is because they just look gangly when small sitting in the nursery. But if you ever saw a large tree, you'd wonder why in the world more people don't grow them.

I'm sure with a good growing season or two, yours will put on lots of dense growth. I'm not sure where in Maryland you live, but you may need to protect them the first winter or two with something that will keep the snow loads from breaking them.

o

I don't know anything about that cultivar, but those look find for rooted cuttings that size. I suspect they all look about the same until they get growing.

o

...deep the snow loads from breaking them dave-in-nova may have a good point.
At one time the Nat'l Herb Garden had a gorgeous, informal wax myrtle hedge. I really don't know what happened, maybe snowmageddon. As you can see, they have really been hacked back, a shell of their former self.
I'm hoping that a denser form like 'Don's Dwarf' won't have that problem.
 photo 03-24-13007.jpg

o

Here we are six months later and my quart liners are now in 3 gallon containers. I'm happy with them, however still not as tight as the online pics. I think that the online images were sheared whereas this one is untouched.
Myrica cerifera puts on a continual flush of growth throughout the season, with a very strong orange peel smell. Now lets see how they make it through the winter.
 photo 09-11-13002.jpg

o

Sam,
Boy, it looks really good.
I like them. They grow pretty quick, or I have the regular wax myrtle, but if its anything like the species, it will look fabulous next year for you.
I love wax myrtles.
Good work.

o

Looks great Sam! If you're planning on this as a hedge, it should be easy to shear.

Where are you located?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here