Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What temperature is needed to make my Forsythias bloom?

Posted by ilovemytrees 5b/6a Western, NY (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 8:06

My Forsythias are still naked, but they are covered in gorgeous buds. What temps are needed to make them bloom their gorgeous yellow?

I figure they haven't bloomed yet because they're scared to, because our winter here has sucked! I don't let my kids use that word, but really, it is applicable.

300 inches of snow, TWO blizzards <-----which has never happened in recorded history here, and frigid temps all winter long. The weathermen are literally cackling over our mid 40 temps that may reach 50 this weekend.

So, are mid 40 temps enough to make these shrubs bloom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What temperature is needed to make my Forsythias bloom?

first off.. just take some cuttings.. and bring them in the house ... they will bloom by tomorrow ... in a vase of water ... this is why peeps plant forsythia.. to bring them in the house ahead of spring .... and.. they will root if you want more of the same ....

second ... half my yard.. the soil is still frozen ...

keep in mind.. air temps are only one variable...

if the roots of your plant are still dormant.. it will be hard for the flowers above those roots to bloom ...

regardless .. any day now ...

ken

o

I don't know if the comparison is legitimate or not, but forsythia is just now blooming in my location in northern Alabama. I would think that you're jumping the gun a little.

o

They are just past peak here in zone 8 Oregon. They bloom about the same time as daffodils.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 14:42

I didn't even see witchhazel bloom here yet!

o

Well, if Forsythia are just now blooming in Alabama, I guess I have a little more time to go.

After the winter we've had, I suppose I'm just looking for any sign of Spring. Thanks everyone, for responding.

o

why rhiz.. in another post.. she said she had something like 400 inches of snow this winter.. she is basically due east of me in MI ...

and i am positive her soil is probably still frozen.. in places

i still have about 30% snow coverage on my 5 acres ... and where its in the sun.. its melting.. and moving over the soil.. and refreezing in the shade ...

are you suggesting that forsythia can bloom when the roots are frozen in a block of ice in spring thaw ???

i am guessing.. as i have never kept a journal .... that we are about 2 weeks behind ...

ken

o

They are about to bloom in my neighborhood now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here