Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hedges with Damage and Slow Growing?

Posted by KendraSchmidt none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 8:55

In the hedges outside, the leaves have turned yellowish/orange suddenly, after the last snow. Not all of the leaves, but many of them. Is this due to snow damage?

Also, exactly one year ago, the hedges were cut down to the level of the stone ledge. Now, one year later, they're really not much larger. Does anyone know why the hedges are growing so slowly? Should I be watering these hedges? Should I also have fertilized these hedges? If so, how much fertilizer is safe to avoid burning the hedges?

And last, can someone PLEASE tell me exactly what kind of hedges these are? I have no idea. I'd really like for them to be taller and to grow faster too.

Thanks GW

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hedges with Damage and Slow Growing?

no 'evergreen' holds it leaves forever ... its just their normal cycle ..

and i wouldnt worry too much about that little bit of yellowing ...

w/o a scale.. it is hard to say.. but that looks like a good 6 to 8 inches.. of prime growth ...

perhaps they would get taller.. if you quit cutting them back??? ... lol.. not helpful.. lol ...

i dont know the ID .... but man they sure look like rhodie ...

BTW.. where are you ...

ken

ps: you win todays award for the most uses of 'hedges' in one paragraph .. lol ..

o

The hedges were clipped by the previous tenant. You're right, they've grown 8.5 inches since last year (22 cm) - is that normal or even good? Is there anything else I can do to make the hedges grow quicker? (Besides not cutting them)

o

Looks like Otto Lukyn Laurel. If that is the case, they usually suffer some winter damage. If they were clipped too late in the season, new growth would be tender. But really, the shrubs don't seem to have much damage at all.

o

i dont know the ID.. but presuming molly is correct.. hit the link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here