Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please suggest a shrub w/lime green folliage

Posted by hurlee 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 8:57

I need a few suggestions for a lime green shrub that would look good with hydrangeas. The site is part shade with clayish soil. It should be 4-6 feet, now more that 5 feet wide..
This is a border along my neigbor's driveway.

And the lime green has to show up in part shade.

Thanks!

Jody

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please suggest a shrub w/lime green folliage

one of the spirea culitvars comes to mind.. but i am not sure the name.. goldflame????? .. link below ...

but i dont know its shade tolerance.. but keep in mind.. a yellow plant.. in too much shade.. will probably be closer to lime ... or more green.. due to it need to green up in the shade ... to produce the food it needs ... if that makes sense ...

so it might depend on what you mean by shade ... i read your words ... but shade is really hard to define ... short of just planting things there.. to see what they do ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I would try Spirea thunbergii 'Ogon'. Not only is the color what you are looking for, but it's willowy texture would look great with Hydrangeas. I have read that in warmer climates, it tolerates quite a bit of shade and even demands it to prevent some burn, so I think that it may work for you. As for personal experience with the shrub...I just planted it last Fall so too early to tell how it will perform for me, but Spireas are typically pretty easy plants to grow.

o

Physocarpus "Dart's Gold" - one of the ninebark varieties.

Philadelphus (Mock Orange).

o

how about oakleaf hydrangea 'little honey'? mature size is about right and it should be that color at some point during the growing season, as well as yellow and autumn red.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'little honey' pics

o

will a mock orange.. with its flowers smelling of.. believe it or not.. orange blooms ...

bloom properly in shade ...?? i dont know ...

ken

o

My mock orange does bloomin' beautiful in part shade (as the OP said his/her site has).

The fragrance is intoxicating - almost makes me wish we had hot steamy evenings (at least one over the course of the summer) so fragrances would waft.

o

You'd have to use it as an annual, but Xanthosoma 'Lime Zinger' is an elephant ear with huge tropical lime-green leaves in the summer.

o

I thought that all these gold spireas need full sun to be really lime/gold in color? So with the part shade that you have, that may not work so well?

I know it's not a shrub, but the Tradescantia Blue & Gold has worked exceptionally well for me in the part shade area that I have with my hydrangeas. The lime/chartreuse foliage is truly outstanding and the deep blue/purple flowers are stunning too!

o

How about a big chartreuse hosta like Sum and Substance? It likes the same conditions as hydrangea, and gets as big as a shrub. Nice texture contrast too.

o

I have a number of foliage combos I've tried with my various hydrangeas. I know some probably won't fit your size requirements but food for thought :-)

Pieris 'Flaming Silver', Aucuba 'Picturata' and 'Mr Goldstrike', Dicentra 'Goldheart', Sedum 'Variegated Autumn Joy' to name a few.

Here's a pic of 'Flaming Silver' with 'Preziosa' and 'Bluewave'. This same bed has several other hydrangeas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangeas/Pieris

o

I have Chardonnay Pearls Deutzia in mostly shade with hydrangeas and it is lovely. It's small enough to plant in front of the hydrangeas, and its white spring blooms are frosting on the cupcake. I will say that it does turn darker green as the season progresses. I wonder if anyone else has any trouble with this, and if more sun makes a difference?

I have had Ogon Spirea for about four years here and it is a beauty. Mine definitely needs afternoon shade to avoid sunburn on the leaves. The Endless Summer hydrangeas do extremely well in that much sun even here in the Deep South. Oh, and the white early spring bloom of Ogon is gorgeous in and of itself. Underplant it with white daffodils. Beautiful.

There are several Japanese Spireas that are the color you want too, but at least in my zone they form thickets in a very short time. I detest their hot pink blooms with the lime green foliage, and so, for these two reasons, I have pulled them every one out of the ground. I did not have them in shade, but suspect that might minimize the bloom, (but might also cause the foliage to turn darker green).

I second the motion for Sweet Kate Tradescantia. (I like that idea so much, I may just move some in front of some of my hydrangeas. Just be sure your hydrangeas bloom blue.) You could also use Bowles Golden Carex, which is finer, larger, but more temperamental.

o

Here's a pic of my baby sedums from last year with 'Glowing Embers' and 'Nikko Blue'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Autumn Joy

o

Hey boxofrox, what is that variegated shrub/perennial in front/between your hydrangeas? Absolutely gorgeous! Knowing my luck, it is probably not hardy here in my zone...

o

Hey tish,

That's the sedum 'Autumn Joy' offshoot called 'Autumn Charm'. Isn't that gorgeous ? It was new for me last year and I love the contrast so much I'm going to add a bunch more of it elsewhere. The thing I really like about sedums in our zone at least is the succulent leaves, regardless of color seem to be such a nice contrast. I have some regular 'Autumn Joy' planted between two rhodies that I call my sedum sandwhich...here it is between 'September Song' and 'Jonathan Shaw'. The sedums typically like a little more sun to bloom fully but the foliage is worth it even when the bloom is not as good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sedum Sandwhich

o
RE: Sedum Sandwhich 2

Tish,

This pic shows the foliage more.

Here is a link that might be useful: SS 2

o

Hey box, are we talking about the same plant? The variegated one? It doesn't look the same in the last picture as it did in the first one. I have Autumn Joy and many other sedum ground covers, but that is spectacular. Sedum, really? Is is hard to find? I'm kind of a variegation freak, so I really "need" to know, hehehehe. I just googled it and it is indeed the 'Autumn Charm' I was drooling over and it is hardy in my zone (kind of a duh, but you never know). Still, is it hard to find?

Thanks for getting back to me!

Tish

o

I like the look of 'Little Honey' oakleaf hydrangea, I'm going to have to look into that one.
Here's a pic of Sum and Substance I have in my lime green and purple plant part shade garden. I really like it and it does very well in part sun.It's next to a variegated shrub dogwood 'Cream Cracker' and Old Gold juniper
Photobucket

o

hey Tish,

Not hard for me but maybe for you ;-) I just checked my supplier yesterday and they had it. The other pic was regular 'Autumn Joy'.

Hey, linrose....what purple leaf do you use in shade besides the heucheras I see in your pic ? I have terrible luck with them and have sworn them off. I too love purple and lime combos and have a whole full sun lawn border done with 'Midnight Wine' and alternating 'Magic Carpet' and 'Limemound' spireas. I posted this same pic in the gallery....the foliage on the MW turns more purple after the blooms are done.

Here is a link that might be useful: purple/lime border

o

Hey Box, is your supplier a secret (just kidding)? Are they local or mail order? Ironically, the guy who discovered it, Brent Horvath, is just down the road from me. I'm hoping that will make it easier for me to find it locally, but I'm not going to chance not getting it at all. And what is up with the Heucheras? I tried planting them twice and spent over a $100 and they all died. I tried full sun and part sun/part shade--dead, all of them. It is the only plant I have planted that I have not had any luck with. Can anyone comment on what it needs. Its foliage is amazing!!!

o

Well, box, that particular garden has many purple heucheras as well as some heucherellas and tiarellas with purple veining. I also have a red leaved loropetalum that is to the right of the sum and substance hosta. They are in a sun shaft so they do get more sun than most of the rest of that garden. I also have some variegated polemonium that adds touches of pink/purple and a clematis with purple/magenta blooms. For the ground plane however, I rely heavily on the heucheras, they are so indespensable for that color - I intermingle them with the lysimachia for contrast. I like to create a tapestry of color at the ground level and add explanation points of interest with cool shrubs and perennials and the like.

A note on heucheras, they are short-lived and tend to heave in winter. And they especially do not like their crowns being covered with any kind of mulch. It's kind of tricky but I mulch them up to a few inches of the crown and their canopy of leaves covers the bare ground that is left so the result is no weeds. They really need good drainage as well. I've had them in full sun to full shade and that doesn't seem to faze them, but the drainage and crown rot issue is key to their survival. Ditto with the heucherellas and tiarellas.

Here is the loropetalum I spoke about
Photobucket

o

Tish,

They are local but hey, if you can't get em and you gotta have em, necessity's a mutha :-)

Lin, that is very lovely. Loropetalum is another that seems to be dicey for me. I started with a grouping of three under my 'Briotti' red horse chestnut, lost one the very first winter and after this last winter, that is soon to be 0 fer 3 and on to neeeeeexxxxxt ?

o

I wonder if the loropetalums had to deal with too much root competition? They like a lot of moisture. And I think they like more sun than shade even though they are sometimes advertised as a partial shade shrub.

Oh, and I remembered another purple accent plant in my shade garden - Japanese Painted fern. I love them. They are always the first ferns to emerge in the spring other than the Autumn ferns that stay evergreen here.

o

Found the 'Autumn Charm' Box!!! Actually, I found it the first place I called. The woman even commented that she was lucky to get it since we are so close to the person who discovered it. It won't be in for a couple of weeks, but hey, who are we kidding, there are still patches of snow on the ground.

I can't find the Deutzia 'Chardonnay Pearls', however. The places I called haven't even heard of it and said that they don't get the 'Nikko' because, frankly, they don't think much of it. I told them they would have to see the 'Chardonnay Pearls' to appreciate it.

Beautiful gardens linrose & box!!!

o

Tish,

You go girl!!! See, I told you necessity's a mutha :-)

I'm not hugely fond of 'Nikko' myself nor mops in general. I much prefer lacecaps. But I do really like 'Glowing Embers' and decided on 'Nikko' for contrast. 'Buttons and Bows'and 'Preziosa' are my only other mops. I also have the lacecaps 'Blue Wave', 'Bluebird','Kyosume','Big Smile',and 'Angel Lace'.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Blue Wave'

o

All this lovely garden talk sure has got me anticipating an end to this lousy winter/spring. I'm heading south for a week and hope that I can bring spring back when I come. This thread got me thinking about how much I miss the bloom season. I was looking at a picture from one morning last summer when I got up early and cut a bunch of flowers from my garden to take to the cemetery for the 10th anniversary of my fathers passing. I just cut a mess of hydrangeas,roses,dahlias, and even some 'David' phlox and arranged them into those little vases when I got there. I was just thinking that I can't wait till I get to do that again :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangeas Etc

o

Oh Box, I was talking about the Deutzia 'Nikko', not hydrangea 'Nikko'. There isn't a hydrangea that I don't like, they are all beautiful. Besides, it wasn't me who didn't like the Deutzia 'Nikko', it was the response I got from a woman working at a small nursery I go to sometimes. I finally did find the Deutzia 'Chardonnay Pearls' and at two different nurseries. One has them in 5 gallon containers for $34.99 and the other in 3 gallon containers for $22.00. I'm taking the smaller plants and saving myself $52 buckaroos (I want four of them).

Hope you come back to Spring, I'm still waiting for it myself! I took a walk around the yard during a break (I work from home) and everything is budding and I can hardly contain myself.

YAY SPRING!!!

o

I highly suggest Hydrangea macrophylla Lemon Daddy or Sun Goddess Hydrangea macrophylla.

Here is a link that might be useful: horticulture

o

Well Tish,

That hope to me coming home to spring didn't quite work out. Although it kind of showed up while we were gone and a bunch of stuff started blooming and leafing out, by the time we got home it was cold and wet and a lot like when we left. Lots of promise that it will eventually show up but......

With that theme in mind, here's a lovely little drive-by shot from Palm Springs.......

Here is a link that might be useful: Gateway

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here