Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's your favorite container shrub?

Posted by funnthsun 7B - NC (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 9:13

I have two super-sized containers, 24-inches across at the top and 16-inches tall, that I want to put two smaller blooming shrubs in. The area that they will go will get full sun.

So, I thought it would be a good idea to ask you guys "What is your favorite blooming full-sun container shrub?" Obviously, the longer-blooming, the better. Don't like the one and dones (1 week it blooms, then it's over). Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's your favorite container shrub?

After just reading another post, yes, they have drainage and no, they are not ceramic, but are the lightweight plastic pots that are double-walled and no, I don't have a picture.

Thanks in advance for telling me about your favorite blooming full sun container shrubs!

o

Caryopteris.

o

Now that is an interesting choice. Hadn't though of Caryopteris, although I was thinking about Lo & Behold butterfly bushes and they look somewhat similar. Looks like they have a new variety, Longwood Blue, that is getting good reviews. I will definitely consider that, thanks!

Any more suggestions or favorites from anyone?

o

Have you considered a dwarf conifer that would provide year-round interest? New growth is often as eye-catching as flowers.
Sara

o

Tiger Eyes sumac is a pretty shrub for a pot. I've never tried it, but have read that its maybe wimpy so a pot would be ideal to environment to establish and also give it more oomph in a landscape setting. I would add contrasting foliage like acorus gramineus 'Ogon' and tuberous begonias and/or heucheras.

o

I have tons of conifers already, so definitely looking for something that is a long-bloomer.

o

Funn,
Mexican petunia, it will live through the winter in the pot where you live. Blooms from spring to frost. Awesome!
I have small spireas in pots, they have blue green foliage and pink flowers, they are hard to kill and bloom all summer.
I also have Roses in pots, I can't grow them in the ground here, too hard, they are hybrid tees, they bloom all summer.
I have Gerber daisies in pots, they get really big, bloom all summer, just cut the dead flowers off.
Really, you can grow anything in a pot if you have to.
Duranta grows well in pots, but I am replacing that this year I think, they didn't bloom last year.

o

This may be more of an annual or perennial than a shrub depending on what zone you live in, but I really like the trailing lantana plants such as Lantana montevidensis 'Purple Trailing'. If you hang the basket, the stems trail gracefully down and are covered in flowers that attract butterflies and hummingbirds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here