Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viburnum Question

Posted by MelisaM72 Georgia (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 9:28

At my previous house, I had a shrub/small tree that I'm 99% sure was Viburnum. I don't know what variety, though. I was hoping someone here could help me with that. The flowers looked like the "snowball" (http://www.thetreefarm.com/viburnum-snowball-bush) or "viburnum grandiflora" (http://www.plant-pictures.net/2467-viburnum-grandiflorum-picture.aspx) that I'm seeing in a Google search. This was the most fragrant plant I have ever had, and I want another one! Does anyone know which viburnums are the most fragrant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viburnum Question

I have a similar one, and it's called Korean Spice.
It smells even stronger than a lilac, right? Small 'snowballs' (probably 3 or so inches across) which are white, tinged slightly with pink?

If so, I would bet it's Korean Spice.

o

what i knew as the snowball bush.. was not a fragrant V ...

the fragrant one i have is Mohawk ...

the latin is: Viburnum x burkwoodii 'Mohawk'

and the key there.. is the burkwoodii ... its that second name.. in the trinomial ... that is going to be defining in searching ...

there are a bazillion Vs ..... what you should do .. if local.. is find out how to root them ... and go back and beg a piece or 3 to root the exact plant ..

you offer two pix... and to my eye.. the flowers look nothing alike.. the first looks like the old fashioned nonfragrant ..... and the latter my fragrant one .....

and therein lies part of your problem ... they differ in size.. [which you cant tell because there is no scale] ... thickness.. [the fragrant ones are much smaller and thicker]... etc ... i doubt you will find such by computer pix alone ...

the real trick here.. is to hit all the local nurseries.. when the plants are blooming .. and buy one that looks .. in person.. like you remember.. and smells as you remember... shopping online to memory.. may or may not work out.. for a specific plant .. but even if you fail.. specifically ... you will end up with some great smelling Vs

just like any other flowering plant.. buy it when its flowering.. to insure you get what you want ....

ken

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 13:28

Fragrant snowball is Viburnum x carlcephalum. V. grandiflorum is a winter-blooming type that flowers on bare branches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here