Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning a burning bush

Posted by mintjulep49 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 12 at 10:06

I have a huge burning bush in my front yard that desperately needs to be trimmed back. As I live in Michigan, normally the beginning of March would not be a great time to prune, however with the warm winter we've had, I already see it starting to bud. Is it ok to prune now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning a burning bush

if you wish.. you can run it over with a truck.. and it wont care ....

years ago .. dad cut a 12 footer.. planted 2 feet from the house .. well.. actually he made me cut it.. lol ... to within 3 inches of the ground ...

and by the end of summer it was back to 3 to 5 feet.. if memory serves ...

do whatever you want.. whenever you want.. with this invasive weed ... in fact.. get rid of it.. and plant something better ... link ..

otherwise.. knock yoruself out and dont worry about it. ..

i think you are thinking about flowering shrubs.. which you usually do not prune until after flower... and this shrub is not known for it flowers.. so go at it ... [though of course it must flower.. to produce the invasive seeds]

good luck ..

ken in adrian mi ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Put a cork in the snark, Ken. It is so tiresome. how hard would it be to offer constructive suggestions, without the attitude, to a new member asking for advice ?

Mintjulep - welcome to Gardenweb! I don't know a lot about burning bushes, but they are fairly indestructible, so you probably can prune now without too much issue,

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 11, 12 at 14:02

Cutting this back part way is ugly, best bet to cut whole thing down to low stumps and start it over. Will grow back pretty quickly, but in meantime you have a smaller top for some years - that looks natural, rather than lopped and stubby, with new sprouts going off in wrong directions.

If the shrub is budding out you will want to get the job done soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here