Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okie_chad

Why are my privet leaves turning brown?

Okie_Chad
13 years ago

I got about 50 privet hedges in the mail and they looked really good. I tilled up the ground (sandy soil) and planted them 18 inches apart. I watered them the first day pretty throughly. Now the leaves are turning brown. I'm just wondering if they are turning brown because I sprayed the leaves with water? The leaves are turning brown and crumbly now. Anything I can do to help them or is it just a matter of time? Or do I need to water more often?

Comments (3)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

if they were greenhouse grown.. and you shocked them outdoors ... then they will lose their leaves ...

or there was a frost or freeze ...

or the shipping did it ...

or they were simply cheap poor stock ...

regardless.. life is in the buds .... and even if they lose every leaf.. if the buds are viable.. they will prosper ... and only time will tell that..

water deeply.. and then do not water again until they need it.. figure that out by inserting your finger ....

a good cover of mulch will really help in the heat of summer... you have time to figure out if they will live.. before you need to do that ...

do NOT fert them ...

spraying water on leaves does little or nothing for a plant ... it usually cant hurt.. but it isnt going to be some miracle ... and i doubt that had anything to do with leaf loss ...

as you say.. its only a matter of time.. to see if they live.. but not necessarily meaning death ...

who did you get them from.. and how are they rated by the various watchdog sites???

when did you get them .. how were they packed.. how did you hold them over until planting.. how did you plant other than tilling...

more specific facts please ...

good luck

ken

• Okie_Chad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow you're thorough. I got them believe it or not from a lady off of Ebay. She had over 200 positive feedback with 0 negative. So I was like what the hay might as well check it out for that price. They were shipped priority in bundles of 10 (wrapped in soaked paper towels). I got them in and soaked the roots in a little water before planting. I just tilled because our ground is good (so I didn't bother adding any fertilizers or anything else to it). They did look really awesome when I got them, so I might go with your shock theory. But I was hoping with time they would straighten back out and live.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

can you contact her.. and ask her what she thinks???

were they greenhouse grown...

she will probably ask you to give them a month and see what happens.. and if she is as good as you suspect.. will replace them ... which i would recommend in fall at proper planting time.. because by the time we decide they are goners ... it will be too late to transplant fully leafed out shrubs ...

i still think leaf loss is not that big a deal ... if the buds look good.. but you will probably have to get on your hands and knees to check them ... i have not lost the faith yet ...

how long did you soak them in the water???

ken