Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP for shrubs that have budded early and freeze coming

Posted by nanaclaire 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 10:09

We had a premature spring and really warm temps up to the 80s and all my flowers, plants, shrubs are budding, some with leaves ... now we are getting a freeze overnight... down to the low 30s possibly below freezing. Can I cover with plastic trash bags? Don't think I can cover my whole flower bed but at least the shrubs and rose bush. I have tulips coming up and starting to bud as well :(

Any advice is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP for shrubs that have budded early and freeze coming

Plastic is not the best material to use for plant protection...use a cloth type substance instead, such as old sheets. Using something that 'breathes' is important, when expecting freezing temperatures. Best, also, to use something that goes all of the way to the ground, so that some of the heat from the ground can be trapped in the little tent you make to protect your plants.

Good luck! You'll be in the same boat as a lot of people all over the country. It's just one of those things.

o

Go back inside, make yourself a nice cup of tea, start a fire in the fireplace if you have one, sit down and read a good book. Forget about the garden. Forget about the freeze. Whatever you do, don't run around trying to 'help'.

Our last frost date is May 30th. Even in a normal year, practically everything is leafed out before the last frost. Everything that people would usually call a spring flower is flowering before the last frost. They can handle it. If they couldn't they wouldn't be growing and blooming now.

If you want to worry, the temperatures you should be concerned about are if it gets into the low 20's. That is cold enough to cause damage, and it is early enough that those temperatures are not out of the question.

o

i am with MAD ...

go with zen .. ooohhhmmmmm ...

mother nature is a witch.. and really has no sense of propriety.. or humor ...

i mean really.. are you up for the challenge for the next 60 days..

or are you just going to sit back.. and let the witch hit you with her best shot???

do what you can.. and whatever on the rest ...

ken

o

Thanks Mad...! Think I'll take your advice and not worry so much. :)

o

Sorry, but I expect catastrophe. A freeze after a month of temps near 80 will not be pretty. The Magnolia 'Daybreak', normally a late April bloomer will open today. It will be slammed. A very small, newly planted tree that is just leafing out may very well die. And it goes on and on. Mine is a very large garden, and it thinks it's mid May.

o

So you expect a catastrophe?
What can you do about it?
Nothing.
I mean, it's not as if you can cover a magnolia tree.
And anyone who has anything "newly planted" this early dug their own grave.

I too have had spring fever and have been cleaning out beds and pulling the plethora of weeds that never even died out during our "winter." But I haven't planted anything or trimmed anything other than roses which I would be doing now anyway.

It's nature and we just have to roll with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here