Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer Snow Gardenia

Posted by hatrickk289 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 10:20

I'm looking to purchase a Summer Snow Gardenia... but I can't find it at a reliable online nursery. Has anyone ever purchased one? If so where, and how large was the plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer Snow Gardenia

Where do you live? They are offered at our local nurseries in the DC area.

o

Also saw them here at a regional big box store this past weekend

o

I'm all the way up in extreme southwestern Connecticut. Not a Summer Snow Gardenia to be found, in stores, or online...

o

if its so common.. that bigboxstore carries them ... what is so great about them.. you are talking to a bunch of hardcore here ... lol ...

cant you find something more unique.. in the same vein???

use your phone.. call BBStores ... ask them to hold a few for you .. follow link for methods of retrieving them ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

You might try asking a local nursery to order one for you or pester the local big box store gardening center manager to order some.

There has to be a nursery fairly close to you that would order one for you, especially if you order a large size ($$$ mark up on large plants for them) or you make it part of a larger order to make it worth their trouble.

Good luck finding your plant!

John

o

I don't think you'd find them anywhere until maybe April or May in the Northeast.

Ken: The hype about this specific gardenia cultivar is it's hardiness claim and bloom size. It is listed as zone 6 hardy AND it has a large bloom. Usually the hardier the gardenia, the simpler and smaller the bloom. I'm not saying the hype is correct, but it's tempting.

This is not your typical big-box store hot-house gardenia.

o

Update: If anyone else is as interested as I am, Dayton Nursery supplies Summer Snow Gardenia, won't be cheap, a 3 gallon is $25... not too bad, but I know shipping for two (to me, about 600 miles away) is $33. I'm not endorsing them, however simply informing others they have the product that can hardly be found anywhere else. Also, their customer service is great. As of now they have none in stock, their delivery is scheduled for this week. My six month search is over...

o

Hi, have one of these on the way to me, ordered one online, just wondering if any one in zone 5b (connecticut) has had these outdoors over winter ok, I would think that with a generous winter mulch covering that it would be ok, any comments would be appreciated.

o

Even down here in 7A, they can be damaged by a bad winter. Buds form over winter/early Spring and can get fried in temps between -5 and 5 degrees F, thereby ruining the Spring bloom.

Siting is critical. Wind protection is important. I think in 5B they would def. need some passive protection the first two years and maybe every winter.

These plants, once they 'dig in' can take more cold though. Not sure about 5B though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here