Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hatrickk289

Summer Snow Gardenia

hatrickk289
11 years ago

I'm looking to purchase a Summer Snow Gardenia... but I can't find it at a reliable online nursery. Has anyone ever purchased one? If so where, and how large was the plant?

Comments (15)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Where do you live? They are offered at our local nurseries in the DC area.

• j0nd03
    11 years ago

Also saw them here at a regional big box store this past weekend

• hatrickk289
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm all the way up in extreme southwestern Connecticut. Not a Summer Snow Gardenia to be found, in stores, or online...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

if its so common.. that bigboxstore carries them ... what is so great about them.. you are talking to a bunch of hardcore here ... lol ...

cant you find something more unique.. in the same vein???

use your phone.. call BBStores ... ask them to hold a few for you .. follow link for methods of retrieving them ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• j0nd03
    11 years ago

You might try asking a local nursery to order one for you or pester the local big box store gardening center manager to order some.

There has to be a nursery fairly close to you that would order one for you, especially if you order a large size ($$$ mark up on large plants for them) or you make it part of a larger order to make it worth their trouble.

Good luck finding your plant!

John

• hatrickk289
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update: If anyone else is as interested as I am, Dayton Nursery supplies Summer Snow Gardenia, won't be cheap, a 3 gallon is $25... not too bad, but I know shipping for two (to me, about 600 miles away) is $33. I'm not endorsing them, however simply informing others they have the product that can hardly be found anywhere else. Also, their customer service is great. As of now they have none in stock, their delivery is scheduled for this week. My six month search is over...

• jaym1818
    11 years ago

Hi, have one of these on the way to me, ordered one online, just wondering if any one in zone 5b (connecticut) has had these outdoors over winter ok, I would think that with a generous winter mulch covering that it would be ok, any comments would be appreciated.

11 years ago

Even down here in 7A, they can be damaged by a bad winter. Buds form over winter/early Spring and can get fried in temps between -5 and 5 degrees F, thereby ruining the Spring bloom.

Siting is critical. Wind protection is important. I think in 5B they would def. need some passive protection the first two years and maybe every winter.

These plants, once they 'dig in' can take more cold though. Not sure about 5B though.

• ColleeninMHD 6a
    5 years ago

Did anyone have success with the Summer Snow Gardenia?

5 years ago

I think most if not all gardenias in the Mid-Atlantic and north have died out over the last five years. LOL! Sorry to say. There is no zone 6 gardenia, and likely no zone 7A gardenia.

• davidwang1978
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

So, I live in Zone 7a, Clarksburg MD 20871. My friend down the street planted two Summer Snow Gardenias two years ago. It survived the '16-'17 winter with no visible winter damage. It still looked like a nice full plant when I saw it last year. After the '17-'18 winter, it lost almost all of its leaves. I counted probably five leaves on each plant. He has it planted on the north side of his house. He has a large singel family house with an attached garage that forms an 'L' shaped sheltered area. The spot would get morning sun from the east side and the house and garage would probably block the sun for the rest of the day. He was suspecting that the late freeze in April caused the damage but I'm not sure. We had that bomb cyclone this winter where the temperatures stayed below 10 degrees F for a whole week which I would suspect to be the culprit. As a reference, I do not recall temperatures in my area dropping below 10 degrees F ever during the '16 - '17 winter. No additional protection was done during the winters. He got them from Home Depot, for $29.99 each so these weren't the small ones that you would buy online, they were large full grown plants.

• davidwang1978
    5 years ago
    My neighbor's summer snow gardenia as of July. Looks like they recovered somewhat but still a far cry from the full bush they once were. but, it's still alive.
  • Conor MacDonald, Rhode Island, z6b
    5 years ago

they definitely look alive! Summer Snow Gardenia are offered at Logee's in northern Connecticut right now.

https://www.logees.com/gardenia-summer-snow-p-p-gardenia-jasminoides-hybrid.html

• ColleeninMHD 6a
    5 years ago

When do I bring my tiny Summer snow gardenias (in containers) inside. I need help with the timing. Zone 6.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus