Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nannyberry Viburnum for full shade in zone 4?

Posted by thisismelissa z4a-S Twin Cities MN (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 23, 10 at 10:35

Along my property line at the back of my perennial garden, I have an area that I'd like to screen from my neighbors. It's about 10-15' and barely gets an hour of sun per day as it is understory some silver maples and two hideous box elders.

Will Nannyberry do ok there or will they not grow much?

I have slightly sandy soil, but this area is on my irrigation system, so they'll get watered every other day during the growing season.

I understand that they do fruit, which is fine, so long as the berries don't attract any more tree rats (squirrels). Birds, I can deal with.

I know I'll be able to pick up a few of this shrub for a good price in a spring sale. Will I get much of a screen with them in say, 3 years' time? Or should I skip them? I've had goatsbeard in that spot for a few years now and I don't think they've grown in height.

Your opinions please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nannyberry Viburnum for full shade in zone 4?

A few years ago I planted about 12 nannyberries in full dry shade along my property line to screen my neighbors. I used a mixture of 1- and 2-gallon plants. They were underwatered the first two years due to our drought. They have grown well, although more slowly than if they'd had more sun and water. I knew they'd probably be somewhat sparse, so I planted them about 3' apart. A cage of hardware cloth was important for rabbit-defense, and I'll use the cages for a couple of more years. Nannyberries tend to be leggy eventually, but that was fine with me in my situation. I think you'll be fine.

o
RE: Nannyberry Viburnum for full shade in zone 4?

Well, we definitely have rabbits here. They pretty reliably eat the bark of my Tiger Eye Sumac and will gnaw a spirea to the ground. So, that info is good to know.

I'm not a big fan of "legginess", so perhaps Nannyberries aren't goin to be the right shrub for me.

The good news is that since this original post, I've decided to remove a tree that has shaded this area to the point of "deep shade". It will be interesting to see if this area will now be more like part shade/sun.

Thanks for the information and for sharing your experience on the shrub.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here