Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning my Winter Berry

Posted by kaypottery PA z6 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 10, 09 at 10:39

My Winter Berry shrub needs trimming because it is growing in a really strange shape. It is loaded with berries each winter so I don't want to trim too much. My question is whether it will sprout out from where I trim or not? I want to prune only one side lower to the ground in hopes that it will sprout out new shoots on that side so it won't look so lopsided. Is this possible?
Thanks,
K

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning my Winter Berry

You should be able to do some shaping-up pruning without harm and probably anytime soon in your zone.

Prune winterberry holly (Ilex verticillata) if it looks unkempt or leggy after the berries lose their ornamental value in winter or the birds eat them all.

Responds well to pruning. For increased fruiting, prune in early spring to increase branching. Or since common winterberry flowers on new growth, any pruning could also be done in late winter before the new growth begins.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here