Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

Nandina Domestica (heavenly bamboo)

greyandamy
13 years ago

I purchased one of the above, Nandina Domestica, from Lazy S's last year. I've heard lots of negatives about it. I plan on keeping it in a pot. It's still cute enough, like a tree with a large spread of purple (since winter) leaves. I don't know if it will continue to stay "cute", like it looks like a standard. Obviously, pruning old wood off the cane will be necessary. I love berries, so got this for the berries. Then I heard it may not berry if it doesn't have others around it.

It's reportedly slow growing, is this true? I'm scared to put it in the ground b/c if the temp drops to 10 degrees in winter, the canes will freeze to ground. I had read the "stupendous berries are perfect for X-mas decorating"... is this true on one lone plant? Any (positive) opinions? Remember, this is zone 6 (PA) and it's going to stay in a pot.

Thanks for any comments

Amy

Comments (8)

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

In the South, it is the berries that are the negative - birds eat them and then the birds poop them out and new plants spring up elsewhere (like natural areas). So I'm not sure why someone suggested keeping it in a pot.

The pure species should have no trouble growing up to six feet tall eventually and having berries (if it flowers, of course, can't have berries without flowers). There are some cultivars that have been bred to be sterile (no berries). Don't know if you got one of those or just the species plant.

Pruning is often recommended to be at ground level - choose several of the oldest canes and prune them to the ground. New ones will come up, rejuvenating the fullness of the plant. You probably don't need to do that this year. Pruning them with traditional methods (snipping off the top) would like result in a "standard" looking plant because of minimal growth from the base.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

i would NEVER plant a bamboo in my garden.. ever ...

link suggests its invasive though it might be more so in warmer climes ...

more specific link: http://www.invasive.org/eastern/srs/SB_N.html

just because it makes edible seeds.. does not necessarily mean its a good thing ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• subtropix
    13 years ago

Nandina is NOT a bamboo--no relationship only known as "heavenly bamboo" because of fine textured leaves. Personally, I don't see much of a resemblance between it and any true bamboo. Still, Nandina is listed as an invasive in the South East. In my area, it is commonly available in garden centers but don't believe it is invasive here. Mine went though the last winter under about 4 feet of snow (from the snow shoveled from the driveway). What I like about it is that it is deer resistant and evergreen (deer really did a lot of damage to broadleaved evergreens this season). If you're a colder zone 6, I would say the plant has a better chance in the ground than a pot (containers do not offer the insulation that the ground provides), and you loose about one gardening zone in a pot as opposed to a container. In other words, in your zone, a plant left in a container over the winter would have to be hardy to at least a zone 5 (Nandina is hardy to about zone 6b/7a). Not sure about the growth rate as I only put mine into the ground last Fall. You could grow it in the pot as you intend, but then protect the pot from heavy frost (garage or attic might work for example). Good luck!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

How likely Nandina is to form flowers/seeds depends a lot on the cultivar. Some dwarf varieties are very shy about doing so and might be safer choices in areas where this plant is considered to be invasive. Like barberry, to which it is related, flowers and berries can be borne on individual plants -- you don't need more than one.

I'd consider this to be a very iffy plant for a container in zone 6. It is only borderline hardy in zone 6 and container plantings should target at least 2 zones lower in hardiness, as they are much more vulnerable to cold temperatures. Even in my zone 8 climate, established nandina shrubs in the ground can be severely cut back in a hard winter. They are considered 'evergreen' to about 20F, semi-evergreen/deciduous to about 10F and often will dieback to the roots (or completely) at 0F.

In Asian cultures, this is considered a very significant plant and has a common name of 'sacred bamboo'. They are often given as gifts to celebrate a new household and are frequently placed by the front doors to encourage good spirits and bring happiness into the house. Nandina will grow in either shade or sun, don't seem to care much about soil moisture and offer great fall and winter coloring and wonderful foliage texture. A great plant for the right place.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

from the link below:

Gardeners heave a sigh of relief when they learn that Nandina domestica is not related to bamboo, thinking that they�ve chosen a plant that isn't invasive. But as Master Gardeners, it behooves us to remain aware of what can happen when plants escape the confines of our own backyards, and consider all the ways in which plants can be "invasive." Think purple loosestrife. Think ivy. Many people are now choosing not to plant Nandina domestica because it's turned out to like its adopted home in the Western hemisphere all too well. The State of Florida carries it in Category I of its list of plants that are invading and disrupting native plant communities. The introduction to their list states, This definition does not rely on the economic severity or geographic range of the problem, but on the documented ecological damage caused. The US Forest Service has classified Nandina domestica as a Category 2 threat in the forests of the southeastern regions of the United States. It is not on any lists here, yet, or at least none of which I�m aware. But Nandina domestica, as attractive and as useful a landscape ornamental as it may be, is in fact an invasive plant pest in some areas of the country. Proper berry management�a serious sounding version of "get them before the birds do" is suggested as a precaution. The single most important thing we can do as responsible stewards is to remain aware and ever mindful that what we do in our gardens and outside of them, as well has an impact on something else, somewhere. We're each of us responsible for making the most informed choices we can make. Me, I still have three Heavenly Bamboo plants in my yard. But I'll be beating the birds to the berries and letting others know in presentations, that the case of Nandina domestica reminds us that "invasiveness" has a meaning more broad than one bamboo rhizome uprooting a driveway.

====== >>>> in other posts.. amy has admitted being a total newbie in the garden .... i guess i am going a bit further in the invasive argument .. to teach her something ...

i understand that what is invasive in FL... the prior link .. may not be invasive for her in PA ...

but i feel that we should serve up some learning for her ...

just because she can buy it locally.. or mail order it ... does not mean.. that just because it is pretty ... or just because its berries will feed the birdies .. means the decision is willy nilly made to plant it ....

good luck

ken

ps: and i am still not sure that i would plant something called a bamboo.. which isnt a bamboo ... lol ...

Here is a link that might be useful: note that they beat the birds to the berry harvest ... which is kinda the opposite of your idea of why you are planting a berry producing bush for the birds ....

• greyandamy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I read all comments with interest. It's in a pot still b/c it's on trial, for the reasons mentioned above. Overwintering it was a breeze, throw it in basement and watered it maybe 2 times.

I do know about the extreme "nature" of bamboos, and though this isn't in the family at all, I'm still being careful (thus the "trial"). This is also a dwarf cultivator, nandina, if that means anything about the berries. As I said again,it's on trial. The foliage is gorgeous yes, with no care this winter. IN spring I may plant the pot, maybe.

I do HATE invasive plants (and high maintenance..i.e water hogs).... THANKS everyone...

It seems great for a pot, shallow roots though top growth (on top of the "cane") is like a little tree, maybe 2 foot spread of purple leaves...

Amy

• subtropix
    13 years ago

If this plant is invasive in areas due to its production of berries (distributed by birds), what is achieved by growing it in a pot--It should produce berries in a container eventually.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Dwarf forms of nandina make excellent container plants - as long as you can provide suitable winter conditions :-) I use them often in permanent mixed container plantings. Several cultivars are known not to produce fruit or berries.....or at least very infrequently - 'Firepower', 'Filamentosa' and 'Nana Purpurea'. And several others are very shy about flowering - 'Harbor Dwarf', 'Harbor Belle' and 'Gulf Stream'. I'd recommend planting one of these in any area where invasiveness may be a concern.

And since the invasive properties of these plants are related to the spreading of ripe seeds by birds, removing any flowers before berries are set pretty much eliminates that issue.

FWIW, this plant offers so much else with regards to foliage texture and color and adaptability to diverse planting sites that I'd consider growing it specifically for berry production pretty far down on the list. And the University of Florida together with the Center for Applied Nursery Research has undertaken trials regarding the suitability of non-invasive cultivars for southern and east coast gardens or those areas where the plant could be problematic.