Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement options for Oleander

Posted by scw75 Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 07 at 11:15

Hi All. I'm new here. I have 15 oleander around my pool which have grown fast and provided great privacy. The bad news is they are developing leaf scorch and nothing I have read about leaf scorch is promising. I need to phase them out with something that will grow FAST and also provide nice privacy. I've been recommended viburnum and wax leaf ligustrum. What do you all think? Are these good options? Any experience with them? Other recommendations? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement options for Oleander

Don't use Viburnum suspensum, whatever you do. The foliage has a dreadful stench in hot weather. You don't want that around your pool. Wax myrtle is another possiblility.

o

Have you considered photina or crape myrtles? I can`t grow photinas here, but I attempt to grow crape myrtles.

o

Red tip Photina (SP?) is beautiful, but grows huge and could easily spread enough to out grow the area.

I have seen Skip Laurel nicely used as a backdrop for a pool. It is not a litter problem around a pool. Just make certain no clorine or salty water is constantly splashed onto its root zone. They need moist soil, but the soil also must be fairly well draining.

o

Sew, I wont suggest, I have no idea of Texas plants....but I must ask you something.

Oleander....I'm familiar with my plant in a 10" clay pot...has grown wonderfully, blooms OK...maybe a little later than I'd like...but I've been told that oldeander is a favorite plant in the south...but it has one distinct disadvantage....it is a beggar to dig out...its roots go down....pretty soon, they talk chinese.

Is this a true fact....do you think you might have problems removing their roots.
Don't mean to throw cold water on your plans....especially from out of the pool.....but thought I'd ask.

o

Thank you all for your replies. My husband pulled out one of the oleanders today and it wasn't difficult at all. The roots really were not a problem. I had planned to hire someone to do it. I replaced it with a southern wax myrtle. Two landscapers recommended it for its fast growth.

I love red tip photenias because of their growth rate but they both warned me against them because of potential diseases...even though I see a lot of beautiful, disease free ones, all over the neighborhood.

Well, 1 oleander down, 14 more to go. Thanks again for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here