Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
may_flowers

Specimen evergreen shrub?

Gracie
10 years ago

We are removing a pine tree that is dying out on one side. We are having the culprit thinned--a 30 foot tree that blocks the morning sun and has made it near impossible to plant one side of my garden.

I would like an evergreen that can screen the fence and provide privacy from the street behind us, so maybe about 8-10 feet tall. I would like it to work well in a mixed border as I plan to add other shrubs nearby. The corner will get dappled morning sun and full sun during the hottest part of the day. The sun/shade conditions are my main concern as I can change the soil and moisture level to suit the shrub. I plan to plant the new shrub more forward than the pine tree. I tend not to like really dense shrubs with uninteresting leaves. I have rhodies and don't want any more.

Does such a shrub exist? Any other ideas for my corner? I've made plenty of mistakes in my garden over the years and want to do this right! I live in Oregon in the heart of specialty nursery country and can get just about anything.

Comments (19)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Tell us more about your likes and dislikes. Most screening plants are dense - that's how they do their screening. Is your preference a pyramidal shape? Umbrellas shape? Upright oval? Something that blooms? or mostly just for foliage?

I'm sure hollies could take the conditions. Perhaps some of the evergreen viburnums such as V. cinnamomifolium or V. 'Chindo'. Maybe some in the Prunus family such as Prunus lusitanica. Or how about an evergreen dogwood? Maybe loropetalum if hardy.

Hopefully someone from your region will comment.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 12:29

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

I'd be all over an evergreen viburnum or rhodie in that spot.

• Gracie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A pyramid would do much to hide the fence. I don't need the fence densely covered, but I don't want to see mostly fence, which is why I'm not considering a tree as first choice. I think a pyramid shape would look nice if I put in a fir tree, but I had a really hard time landscaping around that pine. I like the rounded shape of the pine, but it's bare at the base and I never found anything that grew well in front of it to hide the base. Most of the problem was the lack of morning sun, followed by intense afternoon sun.

We have bare fence all along the back. We have two birch trees in the opposite corner, but one is being removed due to crown die-back. Diagnosis is probably birch borer.

So I'd love blooms or interesting foliage. I do love viburnums. I have two rhodies alongside my deck, and I'd like something different. I tend to like fine or variegated foliage and graceful habits. I planted a variegated mock orange on the other side of the center tree last spring. I have a lot of hellebores, hostas, epimediums, hakone grass, heuchera, etc. on that side, since it's the view from the DR. The other side near the pine has been a struggle.

This is an overhead shot of the garden from two years ago. I have moved a lot of plants the last two years. Would like more medium shrubs and less perennials. I only have a lilac, hydrangea, dwarf nandina, shrub rose, and golden fuchsia for shrubs now, so I'd like some evergreens.

• User
    10 years ago

WHy don't you remove the pine out front?
    You say nothing really grows around it, so I would have it removed.
    I recently bought and planted a sweet virbinium, Chindo, it is evergreen. It already has fragrant white flowers on it.
    Nice looking shrub.
    Look up online and see what you think. You can trim it into a small "tree" shape and plant things under it too.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

The one that didn't fit in the overall space and with the visual character, size of the rest of the plants was the deciduous tree to the right of the pine, that was shading it and making it "die" on the one side.

• Gracie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I see that. If it had been my decision, I would have planted ornamental trees and shrubs along the fence. We took out an oak and two Thompson maples 10 years ago but left the zelkova.

I think I'll follow up on some of the viburnums. I don't know if I have room for v. tomentosum, but those are common here. Height is good but spread might be too much. It's deciduous but I can live with that. Otherwise, I think we'd need to plant a tall conifer.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Maybe an Arctostaphylos? Arctostaphylos x 'Austin Griffiths', perhaps? Beautiful bark, pretty flowers that attract hummingbirds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arctostaphylos x 'Austin Griffiths'

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    10 years ago

I garden in totally different growing conditions, but I'll suggest one anyway, lol. Have you thought about Arbutus menziesii or A. unedo? White flowers, red fruit (both at one time in the spring!), gorgeous red, flaking bark. And it's evergreen. If you'd rather have pink, than white flowers, there's Arbutus x "Marina". A.menziesii is a native, though it's the pickier of the species; requires good drainage, but moist soil, and resents root disturbance.
    It's always been my dream to grow a madrone, but it just ain't happ'nin here in the muggy South-with-Northern-winters.

John

• Vicissitudezz
    10 years ago

I like the idea of viburnums, but if you like sasanqua camellias, that might also work. They're evergreen with- I think- attractive leaves, and bloom in late-fall when there may not be much else with flowers. They can be tall or short, dense or not, depending on how you want to prune them.

Another option might be a Wild Lilac. If I lived in Oregon, I don't think I could resist planting one of these natives. Several Ceanothus thyrsiflorus cultivars have beautiful blue flowers and attractive, sometimes variegated foliage. Some are evergreen, such as 'Skylark' (see RHS link below).

Portland Nursery has a number of species and cultivars.

Here is a link that might be useful: RHS Award of Garden Merit info on 'Skylark' cultivar

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Arbutus menziesii, Pacific madrone, is not suitable for a cultivated garden. It is resentful of any irrigation or improved soil and struggles at any significant distance away from its natural coastally habitat. Even there in almost ideal growing conditions (rocky, sunny, freely draining cliffs) it is still prone to numerous fungal and bacterial issues that is devastating the species. In zone 8 climates, Arbutus unedo is a reasonable smaller substitute. Arbutus 'Marina' seems to have issues in any but the milder and drier locations.

Ceanothus is a good choice provided the area receives a certain amount of neglect. This is a shrub that thrives on 'tough love' - lean soil, minimal irrigation, no fertilization and lots of sun. Even then, not terrifically long lived.

I'd consider coast silk tassel, Garrya eliptica, And Viburnum tinus makes a significant presence with a very extended - up to 9 months - flower period (bud, bloom, berries). Osmanthus takes a while to reach a significant size but can tolerate partial shade - I'd look at the very fragrant delavayii or x burkwoodii or the handsome variegation of 'Goshiki' holly leaf osmanthus.

• wannabegardnr
    10 years ago

I remember this garden from the conifer forum last year. There were plans of adding orange leaved Japanese maples to work with the orange bark of the pine. Such is the world of gardening. Plants die, plans change. Everything is constantly evolving.

• Gracie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, that was me! I was reluctant to remove the pine last year, but it's time to move on and stop feeling frustrated with that part of the garden. I may add a lace-leaf maple when the birch comes out. I have a neighbor with a nursery who grows "Orangeola" and other JMs.

As of now, I am leaning toward the viburnum 'Summer Snowflake' that gardengal suggested in the Northwest Forum. I think I'll be able to landscape around a viburnum more than some of the denser shrubs. What do you think?

• Vicissitudezz
    10 years ago

I think that's a very handsome shrub, but according the the Missouri Botanical Garden web site, it is deciduous, not evergreen.

Here is a link that might be useful: MBG info on Viburnum 'Summer Snowflake'

• Gracie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Chindo' was suggested for an evergreen viburnum, but I see it has fungal problems, so I wouldn't want to try it in the wet Northwest. My neighbor took out v. davidii because of fungus.

I'll investigate other evergreen viburnums that might be good here. I think I would rather have a deciduous shrub that has three seasons of interest than an evergreen that just takes up space. That corner is one of the focal points of the garden--if I can ever get it looking nice.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

I think I would rather have a deciduous shrub that has three seasons of interest than an evergreen that just takes up space.

Of course with a deciduous shrub you will not have privacy or screening for 1/4 to 1/3 of the year.

Have you considered maybe the Evergreen dogwood 'Empress of China'? Not sure how it would take your afternoon heat, but you'd have flowers, fruit (for furry friends) and reddish foliage in cool season...and it's evergreen!

Although I've read they appreciate afternoon shade, so maybe not the best choice, but in zone 8 you'd have a wide range of very interesting evergreen ornamentals available to you.

I like the idea of Arbutus unedo too! Or maybe a Laurus nobilis?

Here is a link that might be useful: Evergreen Dogwood 'Empress of China'

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 11:06

• Gracie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think that dogwood will be too tall. One of the things I struggle with is tree roots taking over my small backyard, competing for water during our dry summers. The lawn will never look nice, and I'd love to take it out--you can see I've been working at it, having started with the standard 2-3' bed along the fence line.

I had missed that arbutus unedo would work, and it is on the Great Plant Picks website, which is for the PNW. There is one called 'Compacta'. It looks like it might need a bit of pruning to thin it out--a bit too hedgey? Maybe the same issue with the bay laurel? I noticed shrubs around town that are very dense and round, and I think I'd like a looser look which might be easier to incorporate with smaller shrubs and perennials.

Appreciating all your suggestions!

• Vicissitudezz
    10 years ago

Banana shrubs (Michelia figo) are popular here in the Southeastern part of zone 8. I'm not sure if you would like it, or how well it would do there, but it is evergreen, and probably about the right height.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

In addition to cutting down the out-of-scale deciduous tree the Tanyosho pine should be/should have been dug up and made the centerpiece of the garden - it would interact perfectly with the other plants around it.

One plant expert has grown banana shrub in Seattle for years. At least a few local independent garden centers have had it in stock recently.

I bought a specimen in 1986 from Gossler Farms Nursery (Springfield, OR) and planted it in my Seattle garden. It has proved cold-hardy and is 9 feet tall, so I believe more of us in cooler regions should try growing it outside. Mine is 7 feet wide, but I have pruned it or it would be wider still. It grows in part shade and is given some summer watering. More than one clone of this species is cultivated; I shall describe mine. It almost certainly is the one sold as 'Port Wine' that has dark flowers unlike typical M. Figo

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant of the Month - June 2002

• Gracie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, you know how it is the PNW among plant ignorant people like me, bboy--seen one pine, seen them all. I didn't know it was anything special. Our entire neighborhood was landscaped with no thought given by the developer except to shove something in the ground. We and a few of my neighbors are doing what we can to improve our yards and gardens.