Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplating

Posted by tulips101 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 11:33

Last year i had my full grown Dapne Carol Mackie split on me and i was wonder if i could cut off the part that is almost completly seperated and then dig upthe rest of plant it so only the good half is showing.I have had it since it was real small.
Or do you think it is a bad idea and just get rid of it or please does someone have better ideas.
The plant is little over 3 foot high and and about 3 feet wide im in zone 5 and the plant is facing south .If i can just cut it off and move it can i take cutting from it and try to propigate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplating

Carol Mackie pretty much inevitably splits from the weight of snow or even less obvious causes. It's also notoriously difficult to transplant, so I wouln't try digging it up. If you can nurse it through the coming season long enough to take some cuttings from new growth, you may be able to root them. Sad to say, though, the original plant is probably a goner.

o
RE: transplating

Concur with mainegrower...you gotta enjoy Carol while you have her and accept that you will not have her forever. And we don't have snow here!

Definitely try to keep it going long enough to take cuttings. With this kind of plant I try to take cuttings on an ongoing basis so that I can replace the mother plant when it expires.

Sara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here